Old style telephone wiring....and BT infinity?

Old August 19th 14, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default Old style telephone wiring....and BT infinity?

David wrote:
On 19/08/2014 20:24, David wrote:
On 19/08/2014 20:13, wrote:
I live in an old victorian house, which has a phone line which goes to
a bakelite box 4.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches, which I think is a surge
suppressor. It has an earth wire connected to outside the property.
The line then runs to a junction box, where it is fed to an old
bakelite (type 26?) ringer bell, and also to two old style sockets. I
guess this was all installed late 50s or early 60s, At present I run
an adsl2 connection to one of these sockets with adsl filters on each.
I am only a few hundred metres from the exchange and get about 17Mb
and 0.8Mb feeds in and out.
The exchange has just been upgraded with FTTC cabinets in the
locality, the nearest 200m away. These are now live and I want to
upgrade. What needs to happen to my antiquated phone wiring? Will
BT/Openreach install a new mastersocket, and if so can I specify the
location? One of the existing sockets would be good, but the junction
box is in a hall way and totally inconvenient.

Comments welcome.

I think you would do well to subscribe and ask in uk.tech.broadband.
Regards
David

CORRECTION

uk.telecom.broadband

The bakelite box is a lightning arrester.

See discussion he

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/897522

This is in Australia but I removed a similar device from my UK property
some years ago.

--
Graham J

Old August 19th 14, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 19/08/14 21:10, Graham J wrote:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/897522

This is in Australia but I removed a similar device from my UK property
some years ago.

This is mine (with fuses)

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/IMG_2832.jpg

I've got FTTC running quite nicely through it.

--
Adrian C
Old August 20th 14, 01:38 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Adrian C
escribió:

This is mine (with fuses)

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/IMG_2832.jpg

Had one of those 8 houses ago, though it had copper bars rather than
fuses.

Is the earth wire actually connected to anything, internally or
externally?

I've got FTTC running quite nicely through it

Bloody hell. Didn't Openreach 'regularise' the installation when they
installed your VDSL faceplate?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old August 20th 14, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 20/08/14 01:38, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Adrian C
escribió:

This is mine (with fuses)

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/IMG_2832.jpg

Had one of those 8 houses ago, though it had copper bars rather than
fuses.

Is the earth wire actually connected to anything, internally or
externally?

I've got FTTC running quite nicely through it

Bloody hell. Didn't Openreach 'regularise' the installation when they
installed your VDSL faceplate?

Nope

I tidied this up after the photo, had a tug of heart whether to keep the
fusing in circuit and decided it should remain thus. That green wire
doesn’t do anything, it's from the overhead drop wire unused pair.

--
Adrian C
Old August 20th 14, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artÃ*culo , Adrian C
escribió:

That green wire
doesn't do anything, it's from the overhead drop wire unused pair.

Not the green wire, the bare twisted copper earth wire that seems to
come out the back of the box in one of your photos. That would
originally have gone to a lead water pipe, an earth rod, or sometimes
simply a sheet of lead buried in the ground.

Its purpose was to provide the common earth return of a pair of party
lines. Going back some time now :-)

I remember party lines from when I was a kid. You shared the line with
a neighbour, but each leg of the pair (the A and B wires) formed a
circuit to earth. Both lines couldn't be used simultaneously - if you
lifted the receiver when your neighbour was on the phone, you could hear
the conversation.

You had to press a button on the handset to tell the exchange you wanted
to make a call. That connected the line (A or B) wire to earth and
caused the line uniselector to connect dial tone, then you could start
dialling.

Ringing was achieved by sending ringing current down the A or B wire,
causing just one subscriber's phone to ring. The earth wire was the
return for ringing current. This meant you couldn't use 'off the shelf'
phones as they had their ringers connected across A and B (rather than
A-earth for one subscriber and B-earth for the other), meaning they
would ring for calls to either subscriber.

In dry weather conditions, the party line lost its earth and you
couldn't make or receive calls. In our case, flushing the downstairs
toilet restored service because the earth of the phone line was
connected to the lead soil pipe.

I'm sure some people reading this will think I'm making it all up :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_line_%28telephony%29

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old August 20th 14, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 20/08/2014 19:34, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el , Adrian C
escribió:

[...]

Nope - I believe every word, as we had a party line too!

Old August 20th 14, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

escribió:

[...]

Only thing is I don't remember having the button to make a call

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old August 20th 14, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

escribió:

[...]

We had similar problems....

the telephone rang whenever we tried using the tape recorder off the
radiogram. [ Never resolved that but my father was not fully aware of
electrical circuits].

that problem was solved when he cut the grass.

however, we were then unable to make any calls.

apparently, the telephone earth went down the front wall, across the
path and into the flower bed.

when he brought the lawnmower round to the front of the house it appears
that he snagged the earth and snapped it.

the GPO finally sorted everything. What they said to my father was never
revealed :-(

--

Flop

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Old August 20th 14, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
David

escribió:

[...]

Our first phone here was a Party line.
Our Party used to listen in to our calls.
Regards
David