BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification

Old December 3rd 15, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default BT Yahoo - hopeless authentification

Roughly every month BT Yahoo! decides that my password needs changing. Usually if I happen to access my email while out and about and not from my own BT broadband connection.

This is nuisance as I have to update the settings on my PC, tablet and phone.

Last night I had to change it four times in fifteen minutes. What a PITA.

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its hopeless servers?
Old December 4th 15, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , R.
Mark Clayton writes
Roughly every month BT Yahoo! decides that my password needs changing.
Usually if I happen to access my email while out and about and not from
my own BT broadband connection.

This is nuisance as I have to update the settings on my PC, tablet and phone.

Last night I had to change it four times in fifteen minutes. What a PITA.

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its
hopeless servers?

My understanding is that this happens if there is an attempt to log in
to the account from two different machines simultaneously.

If your tablet or phone is set to automatically pull mail and does so
when you are already logged in using one of the other devices it will
trigger this behaviour. I had this problem with a friend after she got
an iPad last Christmas and someone set it up to be permanently watching
for mail even when apparently "off" as far as she was concerned. Each
time she logged on using her desktop she ended up having to reset her
password.

Sensible in the olden days - not really sensible in today's multi-device
world - but to avoid it ensure that the other devices are switched off
- or using manual pull - when you go online.
--
Invalid
Old December 4th 15, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 04/12/2015 12:26, Invalid wrote:
In message , R.
Mark Clayton writes
[...]

Total misconception. There are people with multiple devices that never
see the problem (myself included) and others with just one device that
do have the problem.
Old December 4th 15, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 4 December 2015 12:34:29 UTC, Invalid wrote:
In message , R.
Mark Clayton writes
[...]

Yes I thought that it was usually two or more devices trying to pull mail at the same time, but in the wee small hours of the morning the PC was off and the phone was programmed not to do it. OTOH, I was speed testing the Wi-Fi / Broadband on different connections and this may have spooked Yahoo's fragile security - but why four times?

Old December 6th 15, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Dick
writes
[...]

I get the problem from time to time but I've never changed my password -
sorry yes I did the first time. Now I just leave it with my e-mail
client retrying regularly and eventually it goes away
--
bert
Old December 13th 15, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Roughly every month BT Yahoo! decides that my password needs changing.
Usually if I happen to access my email while out and about and not from my
own BT broadband connection.

This is nuisance as I have to update the settings on my PC, tablet and
phone.

Last night I had to change it four times in fifteen minutes. What a PITA.

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its
hopeless servers?

If you have fixed IP, with Linux you can set up your own mailserver and use
something like Courier mail.

If on dynamic IP, you can get noip.com to give you a domain and add some
software from them into your server to ping their servers every 30 minutes
to keep up with changing IP addresses.

BT has as far as I know declared all its dynamic IP addresses as spam
addresses, so you can receive mail but most sites will not accept email sent
out from BT dynamic ip addresses. But you can hire service from email
providers to forward emails through their mail servers.

Although difficult to set up at first, the result is very nice.
Never have problems with emails such as passwords and size restrictions.
You can also set up spam filters and mailboxes to that the incoming
mail is scanned and filtered into appropriate in boxes. And have numerous
email accounts which allows you to partition off idiots that sell on your
email id to spammers to see who is doing it. The added security is that
all your emails live in your own server and not some cloud server which
can get hacked all too easily these days.

All the software and documentation is free for Linux.
Using something like an SSD is recommended for speed.
When you got tens of thousands of emails, speed is important
(mechanical drives can't move that head fast enough!)
An old laptop for 30 purchased off ebay is good enough
for the CPU. If the power went down, the battery will keep
the laptop going for an hour or two in time for the power to be restored.

Old January 11th 17, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 3 December 2015 16:51:54 UTC, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Roughly every month BT Yahoo! decides that my password needs changing. Usually if I happen to access my email while out and about and not from my own BT broadband connection.

This is nuisance as I have to update the settings on my PC, tablet and phone.

Last night I had to change it four times in fifteen minutes. What a PITA..

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its hopeless servers?

This improved last year, but invalidated passwords again last night.

This morning Yahoo! invalidated them again, so yet another change, but despite two messages saying it had been changed on other devices it hadn't and still hasn't. Now when I go to web mail it says I am locked out due to to many attempts (I have been out most of the day) and yet Outlook, my phone and tablet are all getting mail just fine.

So

When are BT finally going to get a decree absolute from Yahoo! and its hopeless servers?
Old January 11th 17, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

To be fair to Yahoo, if you're not a BT customer, Yahoo mail seems to work
pretty well. I hardly ever have a problem.

We have noticed though that mail from BT customers frequently goes straight
to the sin bin.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old January 11th 17, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Tim+ wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Apart the massive hacks and compromises you mean? After the third time my
wife's account sent phishing emails to her contacts, I persuaded her to
ditch it for gmail. Not a problem since.

I'm surprised Yahoo are still in business.

Old January 11th 17, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

might be worth considering moving to a better provider, hmm?