BT sneaky offer

Old September 7th 17, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default BT sneaky offer

BT sent me an email today subject "Our BT Smart Hub could be yours today"

In it said

"How to get your BT Smart Hub

We'll deliver your BT Smart Hub directly to your home (you'll need to pay £9.99 delivery charge). It fits through your letterbox, and it's super-simple to set up.

1. Click on the button below and log in with your BT ID
and password

2. Select ‘Get this offer' on your homepage

3. Follow the on-screen upgrade process."

Well NO if course it wasn't a new router for £9.99p, but a swizz to tr and get me to sign up for 18 months at a much higher monthly fee half way through my current annual deal.

No surprise really :-(
Old September 8th 17, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 13:43:28 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

BT sent me an email today subject "Our BT Smart Hub could be yours today"

In it said

"How to get your BT Smart Hub

We’ll deliver your BT Smart Hub directly to your home (you’ll need to pay £9.99 delivery charge). It fits through your letterbox, and it’s super-simple to set up.

1. Click on the button below and log in with your BT ID
and password

2. Select ‘Get this offer’ on your homepage

3. Follow the on-screen upgrade process."

Well NO if course it wasn't a new router for £9.99p, but a swizz to tr and get me to sign up for 18 months at a much higher monthly fee half way through my current annual deal.

No surprise really :-(

I recently set up one of these for a someone who said that the new
contract was actually cheaper. Although I didn't ask for details I was
puzzled that she'd allowed herself to be talked into accepting a
replacement for something that was working perfectly well beforehand,
but she insisted that it was cheaper. I'm not with BT myself and
haven't investigated this any further.

Setup was just a matter of swapping plugs and then entering the new
wireless details into all connected devices, after which everything
just continued working as before. Wireless coverage was noticeably
better though, even just testing crudely by walking around the
premises and using speedtest.net on a phone. It really does seem to
have made a difference, and you may feel that this alone is worth
paying extra for - if it actually is extra (see above).

About a week later I had the opportunity to check it again and found
that the connection speeds were about three times what they had been
before, so the service had evidently been upgraded from ADSL to VDSL,
the modem in the superhub apparently having switched over
automatically. Unless there's some huge logistical advantage to BT in
getting everybody on the same system, it seems odd to me that this
would be offered on a cheaper contract. I wonder if it really is
cheaper, or just appears cheaper to the uninitiated because of
obfuscatory fine print in the contract?

Rod.
Old September 8th 17, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

BT will cut a deal with existing subscribers on renewal, but I had already done that.

Setup was just a matter of swapping plugs and then entering the new
wireless details into all connected devices,

easier to change the password in the router to be the same as the old one!

[...]

You can also improve wi-fi by getting a repeater. About £15.
Old September 8th 17, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 03:46:14 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

Setup was just a matter of swapping plugs and then entering the new
wireless details into all connected devices,

easier to change the password in the router to be the same as the old one!

That would work, but then the wireless details would no longer match
the handy printed sticker and the handy pull-out tab provided with the
hub. Then there's the risk that a software update might make them
revert to factory defaults. I don't know if the BT hubs do this, but I
have seen it happen on similar equipment. If you're not available at
short notice to the user to correct issues like this, it's safest to
keep to defaults as much as possible.

. Wireless coverage was noticeably
better though, even just testing crudely by walking around the
premises and using speedtest.net on a phone. It really does seem to
have made a difference, and you may feel that this alone is worth
paying extra for - if it actually is extra (see above).

[...]

You can also improve wi-fi by getting a repeater. About £15.

Yes, and I have used these, but all-wireless repeaters reduce the
speed to a half. In this particular installation, I'd previously
installed an extension wireless access point fed through the mains
wiring using a pair of those ethernet homeplug devices. With the
superior wireless performance of the new superhub, it may be possible
to remove this, but I've left it in situ for the time being, pending
further investigation, and being bothered to do it.

Rod.
Old September 8th 17, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

wrote:

BT sent me an email today subject "Our BT Smart Hub could be yours today"

I've had an email offering me an even cheaper than the quite low cost
unlimited standard broadband price I'm already paying and I have a
week to sort it out.

Seems as if they want to supply a new hub for "just" the delivery
charge of £9.99 and given that I've still got a HomeHub 4 from April
2014 it perhaps is tempting and I wonder if there's a speed
improvement to go with that.

--
AnthonyL
Old September 8th 17, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

wrote:

BT sent me an email today subject "Our BT Smart Hub could be yours today"

I've had an email offering me an even cheaper than the quite low cost
unlimited standard broadband price I'm already paying and I have a
week to sort it out.

Seems as if they want to supply a new hub for "just" the delivery
charge of £9.99 and given that I've still got a HomeHub 4 from April
2014 it perhaps is tempting and I wonder if there's a speed
improvement to go with that.

Aarghh - the email is not intended for me . For many years I've
wanted the email eg but it was takend so I ended
up with as my primary (going back to dial-up days
when you could have as many addresses as you wanted).

A few years later the a*** became free so I added it to my
sub-accounts but its user continued to think they had it and I've had
a number of email intended for them and told the sender accordingly.

They recently cancelled their broadband (I told bt I had received
their notification including their address in a different part of the
UK).

Anyhow this SPECIAL offer is aimed at them and not me. I wonder what
will happen if I ring up and say I want it?

--
AnthonyL
Old September 8th 17, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chronos wrote:

Best err on the side of caution...

While you're here ... have you tried SMP with HH5a/LEDE recently?

I've noticed mine can fill the 79Mbps pipe over wired Ethernet, but runs
out of CPU ooomph before it can do the same over WiFi.
Old September 9th 17, 04:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chronos wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

have you tried SMP with HH5a/LEDE recently?

I have noticed my VPN has started running out of puff at 8Mbps, which
points to CPU (crypto)

Far worse is sysupgrade seems to be a bit screwed up on snapshot
builds

upgrade from 17.01.0 to 17.01.2 went ok, but I haven't tried any
snapshot builds.

especially if you take iproute2 duties away from busybox and
use the real thing

yes I do use ip-full

which also screws up OpenVPN until you
symlink /usr/bin/ip to /bin. I've brought the UART out to a socket on
mine after sysupgrade failed miserably a couple of times.

I've left a 4-pin JST connector on the three I've flashed, not needed it
so far.

Old September 9th 17, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:
About a week later I had the opportunity to check it again and found
that the connection speeds were about three times what they had been
before, so the service had evidently been upgraded from ADSL to VDSL,
the modem in the superhub apparently having switched over
automatically. Unless there's some huge logistical advantage to BT in
getting everybody on the same system, it seems odd to me that this
would be offered on a cheaper contract. I wonder if it really is
cheaper, or just appears cheaper to the uninitiated because of
obfuscatory fine print in the contract?

BT has taken on the 'big 6 energy suppliers' business model.

Standard BT out-of-contract price is GBP 40.99 per month for basic ADSL and
line. The offers come and go, but it's about GBP 20-25 per month on a 12/18
month contract once you account for the all the cashbacks etc. FTTC is
usually only more expensive by a few pounds, and if you catch the offers at
the wrong time there might be a deal on FTTC and not ADSL making FTTC
cheaper.

Like the big 6, if you want a good deal you have to switch suppliers every
year.

Theo