Plusnet prices going up, or maybe down

Old May 2nd 18, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

Default Plusnet prices going up, or maybe down

Have other Plusnet customers had an email giving prices changes? Changes means increases, of course. It says that from 5th June they are increasing phone line prices by 1/month but including free Caller Display and Call Protect (previously 99p/month extra).

But they also have some other special offers like "unlimited broadband and line rental" for 19.99/month, which is less than I'm paying now, but it doesn't say whether this includes the Caller Display and Call Protect; if it does it's silly of them not to say so. Otherwise I can't see the downside to that, except it seems to require a 12 month contract after which, I assume, the price will go up by default to something silly.

But I see from MSE's money tips that if you not already a Plusnet customer you can get broadband for only 10.24/month, which makes the 19.99 deal not look such a bargain. Inertia selling as always. So I could save money by leaving for a month and then re-joining. Sigh.

--
Clive Page
Old May 2nd 18, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 02/05/2018 15:09, Clive Page wrote:
But they also have some other special offers like "unlimited broadband
and line rental" for 19.99/month, which is less than I'm paying now,
but it doesn't say whether this includes the Caller Display and Call Protect

It does.

Old May 2nd 18, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

[...]

You many not need to leave for a month. If the price changes give you
the option of leaving without penalty - which they probably do - just
speak to the "retentions" department and ask for the same deal that new
customers get. They'll probably give it to you.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old May 2nd 18, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice

On Wed, 02 May 2018 15:09:47 +0100, Clive Page wrote:

it seems to require a 12 month contract after which, I assume, the price
will go up by default to something silly.

I asked them about that and - yes - it does then go up to nearer 30,
but "Give me a call then and I could get a lower quote for you"...

--
/\/\aurice
Old May 2nd 18, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Clive Page" wrote in message
[...]

you don't have to

PN will offer you a deal if you ring to ask

Old May 2nd 18, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Clive Page" wrote in message
[...]

Remember CLI becomes free for all (OfCom ruling) from October this
year, so.......

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old May 3rd 18, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chronos wrote:

Plusnet getting off their arses and deploying native IPv6.

+1
Old May 3rd 18, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 3 May 2018 11:31:24 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Plusnet getting off their arses and deploying native IPv6.

+1

Do we really want this? Would it be deployed using local addresses,
WAN addresses, NAT and DHCP just like IPv4, or would it make use of
the fact that IPv6 has enough addresses for every individual device on
the planet to be uniquely identified? It's not difficult to guess what
would happen if the lawmakers fully realised the possibilities that
this could offer them.

The anonymity of the internet is one of its greatest strengths, not
possessed by any other communication system, and it would be a tragedy
if we threw the last vestige of it away. What guarantees have we that
it won't happen?

Rod.

---

Old May 3rd 18, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Chronos wrote:

Plusnet getting off their arses and deploying native IPv6.

+1

Do we really want this? Would it be deployed using local addresses,
WAN addresses, NAT and DHCP just like IPv4, or would it make use of
the fact that IPv6 has enough addresses for every individual device on
the planet to be uniquely identified?

Hopefully each ISP customer would get their own /64.

If we'd never needed NAT, I reckon we'd have VoIP almost everywhere by
now, rather than Skype plus friends and the one-way audio issues for
those using SIP/RTP without STUN/TURN. And maybe other peer-to-peer
uses would have taken off?

It's not difficult to guess what
would happen if the lawmakers fully realised the possibilities that
this could offer them.

The anonymity of the internet is one of its greatest strengths, not
possessed by any other communication system, and it would be a tragedy
if we threw the last vestige of it away. What guarantees have we that
it won't happen?

dual-stack would let the end user decide whether they use one, the other
or both, I already have a /29 subnet, so everything is tied to me
(though not to whichever of my devices)

If a device moves to a different IPv6 subnet it will change the subnet
part of the address, and depending on the local scheme in use may change
the local part too, so your phone/tablet wouldn't be trackable by its
IPv6 addr from home to work, to cafe etc.

Old May 3rd 18, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

Chronos wrote:

Plusnet getting off their arses and deploying native IPv6.

+1

I would guess that 99% of PN customers have never heard of IPv6 and
even fewer would want it.

--
insert witty sig here