VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Old July 29th 18, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham

Default VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

I'm planning to switch my landline number over to a VoIP provider, and use an
ATA to connect to the existing phone wiring and handsets. That way my aged
parent doesn't need to learn anything new.

I used to have 2 master sockets - an early NTE5 with a DSL faceplate, and
then a single pair link from the filtered side of that to a 'voice only'
master socket. That was done to make it easy to switch to VoIP - remove the
single pair link and plug the ATA into the 'voice only' master socket. But
an Openreach man replaced them both with an NTE5c and a VDSL Service Specific
Face Plate (SSFP), despite my explaining why I'd done it like that :-(

So now I have an NTE5c and a VDSL SSFP, and no easy way to connect from
an ATA to the existing phone wiring. Now it strikes me that it ought
to be possible to connect from the ATA to the BT phone socket on the
VDSL SSFP - but that I'd need to cut something(s) in the faceplate wiring
so that the phone socket on the faceplate doesn't get the filtered voice
signal.

It also strikes me that I'm probably not the first person to think of
this. Has anyone done it already and can explain what to cut ?
Old July 29th 18, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Andrew Benham wrote:
So now I have an NTE5c and a VDSL SSFP, and no easy way to connect from
an ATA to the existing phone wiring. Now it strikes me that it ought
to be possible to connect from the ATA to the BT phone socket on the
VDSL SSFP - but that I'd need to cut something(s) in the faceplate wiring
so that the phone socket on the faceplate doesn't get the filtered voice
signal.

It also strikes me that I'm probably not the first person to think of
this. Has anyone done it already and can explain what to cut ?

So let me understand what you have:

- a regular NTE5 backplate. Wires come in from the street, there's the
internal socket on the front which carries voice and DSL
- the SFFP, which is interstitial on the NTE5. Socket for the DSL modem on
the top, filtered internal socket for voice on the front.
https://www.bttorj45.com/vdsl-adsl-n...dsl-faceplate/
- regular NTE5 front plate, which has terminals for house phone wiring and a
BT socket for phones on the front

So what you want to do is replace #3 (the front plate) with something that
interposes on the phone wiring and allows you to loop through an ATA?

If you run a cable with a regular BT plug into the internal phone socket on
the SFFP, that's your voice input into the ATA. Then you need a way to
attach the ATA output to the house wiring.

You could do that with another socket box with two (or shared) terminals -
RJ11 cable from ATA is hardwired into one set of terminals, house wiring
hard wired into the other, socket on the front is for voice - something
like:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELEPHONE...-/191911995401

Then you just blank off the front of the NTE5 with an NTE5B:
https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/produ.../PG0184/771156
- that still allows access to the internal socket/terminals for the ATA
input.

If you want it on one box, you need the NTE5 front plate to do two jobs:
1. BT male to wire (to ATA input)
2. wire terminals (ATA output, house wiring) to front socket

- you could hack up and solder the NTE5 front plate, but it wouldn't be very
nice.

Theo
Old July 29th 18, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Andrew Benham wrote:

I'm planning to switch my landline number over to a VoIP provider

Careful you don't cease your VDSL service by doing so.
Old July 29th 18, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

[...]

I already do precicly what you propose. I have four extension sockets
around the house that are now isolated from the BT line and have the
FXS pott of an ATA "back-fed" into one of the sockets.

The simplest (although messy) way you could do this is unscrew and
remove the faceplate from the NTE5, then check that all the extension
sockets are now dead.

Find one of the ADSL filters that your ISP sent you that you didn't
need to use, plug it into the "hidden" socket inside the NTE5

Take the RJ11 - RJ11 and connect it between the filter and the router,
which should now sync up.

Optionally plug in a phone to the POTS socket on the router to access
the BT line in emergency/power faliure

Now, find the other filter your ISP sent, we are just using this as a
convenent adapter, not to filter anything. Plug one end of a secind
RJ11 - Rj11 lead into the socket on this filter and the other end of
the lead into the FXS port of the ATA. Plug the faceplate bodily into
the POTS socket on this filter (assuming the wires are long enough),
now your extesion sockets will have dialtone from the ATA.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 29th 18, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Optionally plug in a phone to the POTS socket on the router to access
the BT line in emergency/power faliure

Correction, POTS socket on the *filter*

And for the avoidance of doubt, the *plug* on the second filter that
we are using as an adaptor is left unconnected.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 29th 18, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Andrew Benham wrote:

I'm planning to switch my landline number over to a VoIP provider

Careful you don't cease your VDSL service by doing so.

Yes indeed, I was told years ago that there is an Openreach "product"
which will renumber a line rather than cease it (along with the xDSL)
but as far as I can see, the likes of Sipgate and voipfone don't do it
that way

If anyone knows a safe way of doing it please let me know.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 29th 18, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Graham. wrote:
Andrew Benham wrote:

I'm planning to switch my landline number over to a VoIP provider

Careful you don't cease your VDSL service by doing so.

Yes indeed, I was told years ago that there is an Openreach "product"
which will renumber a line rather than cease it (along with the xDSL)
but as far as I can see, the likes of Sipgate and voipfone don't do it
that way

Andrews and Arnold can do it (for 42).

Theo
Old July 29th 18, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Theo wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Careful you don't cease your VDSL service by doing so.

Andrews and Arnold can do it (for 42).

They're about the only ones I'd trust to get it right (or clobber BT
hard enough to put it back if they mess up).
Old July 29th 18, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Graham. wrote:
Andrew Benham wrote:

I'm planning to switch my landline number over to a VoIP provider

Careful you don't cease your VDSL service by doing so.

Yes indeed, I was told years ago that there is an Openreach "product"
which will renumber a line rather than cease it (along with the xDSL)
but as far as I can see, the likes of Sipgate and voipfone don't do it
that way

Andrews and Arnold can do it (for 42).

Theo

Thanks Theo. I found this which seems bang up to date
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...bers-voip.html

The A&A website confused me for a while, but I think I've got it
worked out now.
My mistake was to start he
https://order.aa.net.uk/chaos2telephony.html
and select "Port in an existing number"
you then get these off-putting warnings
&
We can port numbers to our VoIP platform from BT and some other
operators. Porting a number will stop your existing service.
&
Confirm you understand that this will stop the existing phone line
working, moving the number to VoIP, and this will stop any associated
broadband from working too.
&
I understand that porting a number will normally cease the existing
line and therefore cease any associated broadband services.

What I needed to do was read this
https://aa.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html
then order a new line.
Tell them you have an existing line
and a few clicks later is the all important option to:

Move line to A&A for broadband use only (no calls possible) and port
existing number to VoIP service for 11.20/month

**The totals for their chepeast naked ADSL are 57 setup and 36.20
pcm**
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/P009k3

I am currently paying 41.04 for line rental (Post Office) and 21.01
for Sky Broadband
**a total of 41.04pcm**
That makes A&A 4.84 cheaper and the saving will pay for the setup
charge in one year.

Downside is the 200GB/month quota, I'm not used to that, I doubt it
will affect me but I'm not sure.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 29th 18, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Graham. wrote:
What I needed to do was read this
https://aa.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html
then order a new line.
Tell them you have an existing line
and a few clicks later is the all important option to:

They can port out the number from underneath a line, without ceasing the
broadband line. *I think* they can do this with the existing provider
holding onto the line, but if you're in some fixed term deal then it may
cause enough ructions that breaks the deal (early termination fees etc).
ISTR one issue is that your provider's billing is keyed on the phone number,
and so they need to handle it changing, which could cause a new account.
Also there are issues depending on who originally owned your number (fine if
BT/OR, trickier if NTL/TW/Virgin Media, hard if other VOIP)

Basically, you need to ask them directly if they can handle you circumstances - but
they can do it if everything is right. You don't need to take their
broadband to do it.

Theo