Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

Old September 19th 18, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to Citizens
Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."
Old September 19th 18, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 19/09/2018 18:47, Java Jive wrote:
"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to Citizens
Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."

Apart from the fact I've been on PAYG for the last 15 years, they'd have
a job doing that with me, as the first thing I do when I cancel anything
is to stop the direct debits.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 19th 18, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 19/09/2018 18:47, Java Jive wrote:
"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to Citizens
Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."

Sorry, forgot link:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45561044
Old September 19th 18, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 19/09/2018 19:06, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/09/2018 18:47, Java Jive wrote:
"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to Citizens
Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."

Apart from the fact I've been on PAYG for the last 15 years, they'd have
a job doing that with me, as the first thing I do when I cancel anything
is to stop the direct debits.

If I'd remembered to post the link, which I now have, you would have
realised that they're not talking about continuing to deduct payments
from people who have cancelled contracts, they're talking about people
who begin a contract to 'hire-purchase' a phone over a given period, but
whom the network do not move to a SIM only contract once that period is
over, so they are still paying the extra cost of paying for the phone
even though it's been paid for.

Old September 19th 18, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 19/09/2018 19:55, Java Jive wrote:

If I'd remembered to post the link, which I now have, you would have
realised that they're not talking about continuing to deduct payments
from people who have cancelled contracts, they're talking about people
who begin a contract to 'hire-purchase' a phone over a given period, but
whom the network do not move to a SIM only contract once that period is
over, so they are still paying the extra cost of paying for the phone
even though it's been paid for.

Ah, that makes sense, sort of. Although my view is that if you really,
really, REALLY want an expensive phone (or an expensive anything else,
come to that) then you save up for it and buy it outright. I managed to
become debt-free three years ago and haven't used any form of credit
since. My partner and I have a savings account that we pay into
regularly every month and what we need (such as a new cooker that we'll
be buying in a month or two) we pay for out of that.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 19th 18, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , Java Jive
writes
[...]

Don't these phones have a calendar system so you can set a reminder a
year in advance to tell you your contract is expiring?
I've never entered into such a contract but does it actually state
"hire-purchase" in the contract or is this another attempt to convert
idiots into victims?
--
bert
Old September 20th 18, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Java Jive wrote:
[...]

This might have been news 10 years ago, but with the plethora of SIM only
deals now there is no excuse for people over paying. O2 even had a whole ad
campaign on this...

Old September 20th 18, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 19/09/2018 22:46, bert wrote:
In article , Java Jive
writes
[...]

Back when *all* mobile phones were seriously expensive and you got to
choose your number from a book that was how it was done. You bought a
contract for minutes and texts with a mobile phone included and
eventually after 2 or 3 years it became yours.

They continue to do it and when your contract is up try to lure you into
having a new phone. However, a lot of older people ignore this being
happy with their existing one and sit on the "paying for a new phone"
deal whilst out of contract. They could move to a SIM only deal at any
time if they bothered to pay any attention to the rules.

Even on a SIM only deal if you aren't talking to customer retention at
least every couple of years then you are still being ripped off.
(just not by quite as much)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 20th 18, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 20:08:46 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

[...]

Same here. With the sole exception of a mortgage (which could be said
to be a special case) I've never borrowed money for anything. I only
use a credit card as a kind of "buffer stage" between my bank account
and anybody who might hack my details, and always pay it off in full
every month. If I want something expensive I save up for it first,
which gives me extra time in which to think about how badly I really
want it. Luxuries may make life comfortable, but there is also comfort
to be derived from knowing that you're living off your own money
rather than someone else's.

Rod.

---

Old September 20th 18, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 19/09/2018 18:47, Java Jive wrote:
"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to Citizens
Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."

Apart from the fact I've been on PAYG for the last 15 years, they'd have a
job doing that with me, as the first thing I do when I cancel anything is
to stop the direct debits.

this item isn't about continuing to pay for something after you have
terminated the contract

tim