Why choose a smart digital lock?

Old October 7th 18, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

Default Why choose a smart digital lock?

On 05/10/2018 17:19, Roderick Stewart wrote:
No more access to your home in the event of loss of power?

I went on a course at another large telecom company's training school.
They had digital locks on all doors (internal and external) with
different levels of access to staff - as visitors we had to be admitted
by their staff.

These were the earlier versions with keypad and programmed from some
central point but still supposedly reliable digital locks.

On the last day there was a power failure in the area. Most of the door
locks would not operate because their backup batteries were flat.
Similarly the car park barrier would not operate so someone had to go
out with a spanner and remove it.

We waited an hour or so then just went off home early.

Old October 7th 18, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 05/10/2018 17:52, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Probably the best system I saw was in a hotel - the keys were plastic and about twice the size of a SIM card. There were holes in it and these matched up to large 'pins' in the lock, which was mechanical and set for each visitor in some mechanical way. Pretty secure IMO and not dependant on power.

A ferry that I travelled on had swipe cards for the cabins but they used
cardboard ones which only seem to work a couple of times. You had to
take to the purser and get them replaced by a plastic one.

Old October 7th 18, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 05/10/2018 22:49, brightside wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 05:53:26 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Smart locks are sure to become every homeowner's favorite. They offer the same level of security as typical mechanical door locks, but provide a range of alternatives to the mechanical key, and a host of other features. Digital locks are changing our lifestyle, leading us to a new digital era of keyless locking!
Get Sample For Smart Lock:
http://bit.ly/2RnrJL3
Authentication methods: PIN codes, Security tokens, Biometrics, Additional Features, Multiple access solutions, Alarm integration
Key Benefits
1. High Security Door Lock System Benefits Reduce Costs in the Long Run
2. High Security Door Lock Systems Can Be Customized to Meet Your Needs
3. Rekeyable Locks Allow You To Immediately Reset Locks
5. High Security Door Lock Systems Ensure Security

Why digital smart lock?
No more locking the door, No more forgotten keys, No more losing keys, No need to carry a key, No more spare keys, No more passive security?

These digital smart lock thingys are real good. El Reg reports:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...n_screwdriver/

I think someone chose a bad place to advertise their wares!

Old October 12th 18, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Smart locks are sure to become every homeowner_s favorite.

Not a Yale smart lock, customers unable to unlock or lock their doors using the
app.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...e_alarms_fail/

and

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-Yale-smart