Jersey fibred up

Old October 10th 18, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default Jersey fibred up

On 10/10/2018 13:30, MB wrote:
On 10/10/2018 13:10, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in
Jersey now has fibre broadband.

I could not decide from the report whether every premises HAS fibre or
HAS ACCESS TO fibre if they want it.

Has JT ripped out all the copper?

Does everyone have to provide a power socket?

Is the voice connection being transferred to the fibre and so needing a
UPS which I would not want to leave on when not at home.

Why not..? That's one of the basic reasons for having a UPS, to provide
backup power for things that have to be left on. Never had a problem here.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old October 11th 18, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/10/2018 13:30, MB wrote:
On 10/10/2018 13:10, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in
Jersey now has fibre broadband.

I could not decide from the report whether every premises HAS fibre or
HAS ACCESS TO fibre if they want it.

Has JT ripped out all the copper?

Does everyone have to provide a power socket?

Is the voice connection being transferred to the fibre and so needing
a UPS which I would not want to leave on when not at home.

Why not..? That's one of the basic reasons for having a UPS, to provide
backup power for things that have to be left on. Never had a problem here.

It's probably a very bad idea to leave a UPS powered down for any length
of time, since the batteries will not be charged correctly and might
fail prematurely.

If you own a holiday home where things such as a fridge/freezer or
central heating could be left running for your extended periods of
absence then you should have some sort of maintenance oversight. If
this is simple a smoke/fire alarm which a neighbour will notice, and a
lamp to confirm that there is electrical power - that may be sufficient.
In fact, your insurance provider may insist on something of the sort.

--
Graham J

Old October 11th 18, 02:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in Jersey now has fibre broadband.
^^^^^^^

What was your premise for not using the customary plural form?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old October 11th 18, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Thu 11/10/2018 01:24, Graham. wrote:
Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in Jersey now has fibre broadband.

^^^^^^^

What was your premise for not using the customary plural form?

Must be an ex-copper - that is one of their favourite terms!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old October 11th 18, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 21:43:50 UTC+1, MB wrote:
On 10/10/2018 17:37, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Cheaper housing is reserved for those born on the island - immigrants have to buy very expensive houses or just come on holiday.

I think people moving to the island for essential work can get residency
if no local can do the job. If only the same applied in the UK!

Indeed - there are a few exemptions - e.g. for GP's.
Old October 11th 18, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 11 October 2018 07:16:38 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
On Thu 11/10/2018 01:24, Graham. wrote:
Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in Jersey now has fibre broadband.

^^^^^^^

What was your premise for not using the customary plural form?

Must be an ex-copper - that is one of their favourite terms!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Nah - police would not have me - too honest...
Old October 11th 18, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 13:19:38 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in
Jersey now has fibre broadband.

Contrary to claims by other contributors to this that this would only
cost tuppence, it cost over 40M to reach 45k premises using 3Mm or
4,000 miles
of fibre (reports differ). That's nearly 1,000 per connection! Their
government paid nearly half.

If you actually want gigabit Ethernet, JT will charge you 70pm and
even
then usage is capped. Cheaper options are available, but with the
speed throttled and an even lower cap.

Jersey is a small densely populated island, keeping cable runs short.
Extrapolated to the UK, with 30M dwellings and probably 4M business
premises, would give an overall cost of 32Billion. Whilst there would
be some economies from the greater scale, this would be offset by
numerous connections in remoter parts of the country.

Installing universal fibre is only cheaper than copper in Dreamland...

The cost is 16b and benefit is 120b.

That is still about 500 per connection.

Inclusive of routers and data centre commercial
Regardless, full profit by year 2
Not since the days of railway startups

Community projects:
https://www.facebook.com/Hexhamtv/vi...89124848045732
250,000 per 1000 customers after all costs, 150 install cost, 1gbit
symmetric fiber, 30/m fees.

How did you assess the benefit?

Published figures
Old October 12th 18, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[...]

So 250 per connection with a lot of DIY.

How did you assess the benefit?

Published figures

any chance of a link?
Old October 13th 18, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 03:28:32 -0700 (PDT), just as I was about to take
a herb, "R. Mark Clayton" disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

Indeed - there are a few exemptions - e.g. for GP's.

Dentists ;-) ?
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter". - Winston Churchill
Old October 13th 18, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:24:47 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Graham. disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in Jersey now has fibre broadband.

^^^^^^^

What was your premise for not using the customary plural form?

That sentence looks 100% grammatically correct to me. Even the
apostrophe has been used correctly.