Three DD Scam

Old November 1st 18, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Three DD Scam

For some years I used to use a small USB dongle from Three to access the Internet. I had a contract on a monthly basis for 5GB at 15 - that was OK for me. Then the damn device kept disconnecting. Payment was on DD.

So last year I complained and got suckered into a Wifi device again USB connected. This was on a yearly contract for 17 for 20GB. Again payment was on DD. The previous DD was supposed to be cancelled by Three as soon as the new one kicked in.

Earlier this year I checked by bank account and found that Three had been deducting TWO DDs for months. They hadn't cancelled the first one as promised.

Contacting Three was a nightmare. I tried their chat to an agent feature. I tried raising an issue on their complaints page - no-one phoned back. I tried emailing the HQ for Hutchinson in Scotland. Then I tried Resolver and TrustPilot - all to no avail. Even Facebook was useless. Finally the thing that worked was the Customer Service phone an agent feature - with a senior person who had authority to refund the overpayments made.

But it was all damn hard work - but I got my money back.

CJB
Old November 1st 18, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

CJB wrote:
[...]

A very good reason for not using direct debits. I keep a separate bank
account for such things, so I can close it in the event of this sort of
problem.

Other than that BBC moneybox seems to have some success in resolving
such problems.
Old November 1st 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 01/11/2018 09:24, Graham J wrote:
CJB wrote:
[...]

Why all this chasing around? The BANK is supposed to sort out hassle
like this!...
Old November 1st 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 01/11/18 08:37, CJB wrote:
[...]

Cancel the DD yourself and contact your bank if it gets set up again.

Check all financial statements/accounts at an appropriate frequency.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old November 1st 18, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 1 November 2018 08:37:13 UTC, CJB wrote:
[...]

It seems rumours that Three's customer service had improved [from diabolical] were premature.
Old November 1st 18, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bruce Stephens[_2_]

On 01/11/2018 09:51, David Wade wrote:
Why all this chasing around? The BANK is supposed to sort out hassle
like this!...

Yes, seems fairly clear:
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/Direct...guarantee.aspx

Obviously, makes sense to try and get Three to sort themselves out, but
if they can't, getting your bank to cancel it is best.

Apart from anything else, presumably someone keeps track of how often
this happens. Presumably organisations ultimately risk having their
right to set up direct debits removed.
Old November 1st 18, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

CJB wrote:
[...]

Indeed - an Insurance broker was procrastinating about giving me a
refund on a business policy where the wrong premiums had been taken by
Direct Debit. I contacted my bank and the money was in my account
within a couple of days.

That is what the Direct Debit guarantee is about.

If I had been in the wrong the Insurance broker was perfectly free to
pursue the issue through normal means and that is, I understand, the
bank's point of view. They do not want to deter people using Direct
Debits. I've had not a dissimilar experience with a Credit Card
refund for wrong/poor goods supplied. My preference is Credit Cards
first, Direct Debits second for most purchases of goods and supplies.

--
AnthonyL
Old November 1st 18, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Even Facebook was useless.
CJB

LOL!
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old November 1st 18, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , CJB
writes
[...]

Did you not contact your bank? DD guarantee.
--
bert
Old November 1st 18, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , AnthonyL
writes

CJB wrote:
[...]

Yup. CC purchases have the same rights as HP.
--
bert