SOT -

Old November 21st 18, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default SOT -

"RBS customer lost thousands of pounds in scam

This is how the fraud on Charlotte was carried out:

Bank records show the fraudster initially calls the bank, posing as
Charlotte, and asks for her account to be reset for security reasons.
Staff follow the bank's usual security protocol and call Charlotte's
landline number, unaware the call has been diverted to a mobile phone
The security reset is processed despite the caller answering a
security question incorrectly. The caller then requests that more than
4,300 should be transferred to another account and the bank allows the
transfer
During the same 23-minute call, the caller requests a second
transfer of a similar amount is made to a different account. This time
security questions are flagged as being answered incorrectly and the
transfer is denied, but the bank does not ask for the original transfer
to be recalled
The bank maintained that because it had called Charlotte's home
phone number to verify her identity, it was clear she was aware of the
transactions. Following an investigation by Devon and Cornwall Police,
it was discovered that the fraudster had made a call to Charlotte's
landline provider to fraudulently divert the number to a mobile phone
number in a different part of the UK"

Note carefully the last sentence in the last paragraph above.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46274644
Old November 21st 18, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 21/11/2018 09:39, Java Jive wrote:
"RBS customer lost thousands of pounds in scam

This is how the fraud on Charlotte was carried out:

*** Bank records show the fraudster initially calls the bank, posing as
Charlotte, and asks for her account to be reset for security reasons.
Staff follow the bank's usual security protocol and call Charlotte's
landline number, unaware the call has been diverted to a mobile phone
*** The security reset is processed despite the caller answering a
security question incorrectly. The caller then requests that more than
4,300 should be transferred to another account and the bank allows the
transfer

At this point I think she has them since they permitted a security reset
even though the security question had not been answered correctly.
Complain to MP and banking ombusman is worthwhile as a next step.

*** During the same 23-minute call, the caller requests a second
transfer of a similar amount is made to a different account. This time
security questions are flagged as being answered incorrectly and the
transfer is denied, but the bank does not ask for the original transfer
to be recalled
*** The bank maintained that because it had called Charlotte's home
phone number to verify her identity, it was clear she was aware of the
transactions. Following an investigation by Devon and Cornwall Police,
it was discovered that the fraudster had made a call to Charlotte's
landline provider to fraudulently divert the number to a mobile phone
number in a different part of the UK"

Note carefully the last sentence in the last paragraph above.

RBS are the absolute pits where customer service are concerned.

They closed the NatWest branch I was dealing with without any advance
notice or telling me. The first I knew of the problem was when I rang
their centralised number to make an appointment to see the branch
manager only to be told "branch does not exist".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 21st 18, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 21/11/2018 12:54, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes, absolutely.

**** During the same 23-minute call, the caller requests a second
transfer of a similar amount is made to a different account. This time
security questions are flagged as being answered incorrectly and the
transfer is denied, but the bank does not ask for the original
transfer to be recalled

Even worse.

**** The bank maintained that because it had called Charlotte's home
phone number to verify her identity, it was clear she was aware of the
transactions.

But it was the following that particularly I wanted to bring to the
attention of the ng, as I don't recall hearing of anything quite like
this happening before ...

Following an investigation by Devon and Cornwall Police,
it was discovered that the fraudster had made a call to Charlotte's
landline provider to fraudulently divert the number to a mobile phone
number in a different part of the UK"

Note carefully the last sentence in the last paragraph above.

RBS are the absolute pits where customer service are concerned.

They closed the NatWest branch I was dealing with without any advance
notice or telling me. The first I knew of the problem was when I rang
their centralised number to make an appointment to see the branch
manager only to be told "branch does not exist".

Yes, they've closed a great many branches in the Highlands too and
replaces them with a mobile banking service, but, as I've never been a
customer, it hasn't affected me. I think the nearest branch of my bank
is Nairn, at a guess about 75 miles away, or Aberdeen, over 100. When I
tried to take a cheque that I'd been sent into local branches of other
banks, they wouldn't accept it. In the end I sent it off to HO, and was
careful to note that it appeared on my next statement.
Old November 21st 18, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

But it was the following that particularly I wanted to bring to the
attention of the ng, as I don't recall hearing of anything quite like
this happening before ...

Report a line fault to BT, request call divert to mobile until line is
repaired? It's a long time since I reported a faulty line, so can't
remember what security precautions BT take ...
Old November 21st 18, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 21/11/2018 14:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

But it was the following that particularly I wanted to bring to the
attention of the ng, as I don't recall hearing of anything quite like
this happening before ...

Report a line fault to BT, request call divert to mobile until line is
repaired?* It's a long time since I reported a faulty line, so can't
remember what security precautions BT take ...

It is probably the weakest link in the chain since a bit of social
engineering will almost certainly get you past their security. Once you
know the landline number and preferably the billing account number then
you stand a very good chance of convincing them to do it.

What could possibly go wrong? Same with mobile phone SIM hi-jaacks.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 21st 18, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Wed 21/11/2018 14:21, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Don't you have any Post Offices up your way Mac, or are they different
in Scottishland?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old November 21st 18, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 21/11/2018 15:15, Woody wrote:

On Wed 21/11/2018 14:21, Java Jive wrote:

I think the nearest branch of my
bank is Nairn, at a guess about 75 miles away, or Aberdeen, over 100.
When I tried to take a cheque that I'd been sent into local branches
of other banks, they wouldn't accept it.* In the end I sent it off to
HO, and was careful to note that it appeared on my next statement.

Don't you have any Post Offices up your way Mac, or are they different
in Scottishland?

Yes, there's one 6 miles away in Lairg, but they wouldn't accept it either.

Old November 21st 18, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 21/11/2018 17:20, Java Jive wrote:
On 21/11/2018 15:15, Woody wrote:

On Wed 21/11/2018 14:21, Java Jive wrote:

I think the nearest branch of my bank is Nairn, at a guess about 75
miles away, or Aberdeen, over 100. When I tried to take a cheque that
I'd been sent into local branches of other banks, they wouldn't
accept it.* In the end I sent it off to HO, and was careful to note
that it appeared on my next statement.

Don't you have any Post Offices up your way Mac, or are they different
in Scottishland?

Yes, there's one 6 miles away in Lairg, but they wouldn't accept it either.

Meanwhile, chief executives pay themselves millions in so-called
"bonuses" and screw the customer...

I use the Halifax, and fortunately there's still one branch left here in
Aberdeen, but I've seen BoS and RBS branches disappear on an almost
daily basis...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old November 21st 18, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Woody" wrote in message
news
Don't you have any Post Offices up your way Mac, or are they different in
Scottishland?

Will a post office accept as a branch of a bank (NatWest, Barclays etc) to
allow you to pay in a cheque so it will be credited to your bank account?

Or do you have to open an account with the Post Office, pay the cheque into
that and then electronically transfer the money to your "real" bank account?

I thought I was hard done-by to have to travel 20 miles to a town which
still has a NatWest bank, but in the Highlands it sounds to be much worse if
it's 75 or 100 miles to the nearest bank.

Most transactions can be accomplished over the phone or online, but paying
in a cheque *still* requires the piece of paper to be transported to the
branch, either by taking it yourself or by posting it. The first is only
free if you are already going into town (eg I do it when I take my car to be
serviced etc); the later costs money. Both are anything but instant. Roll on
the day when you can photograph a cheque and email it. Knowing financial
institutions, they'll probably require the image to be faxed rather than
emailed :-) I have a savings account where they will only accept
instructions to sell units and transfer the proceeds to my bank account by
letter or fax; they will not accept the same scan of a signed letter by
email, only by fax - work that one out!

Old November 21st 18, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

paying in a cheque *still* requires the piece of paper to be transported
to the branch, either by taking it yourself or by posting it.

My bank's android app allows you to take a photo of cheques (up to 500)
to pay them in.