Fibre installer goes bust

Old December 3rd 18, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

Default Fibre installer goes bust

On 2018-11-27 12:59, I wrote:

Fiber engineers are like gold dust now.

ITYM technicians. Monkeys pulling fibres through ducts are not engineers.

It was ferrets, not monkeys, but these days they blow fibres usually.

In days of yore [BT] engineers were supposed to leave a draw string in ducts. Occasionally they forgot, snapped the string or rats gnawed through it etc. At which point a man with a ferret would be called for. A thin cord would be attached to the ferret, a piece of meat put at the far end of the duct and the ferret introduced at the other...

Please note this is not a wind up ,I personally witnessed this.

To pull a rope through a duct ,you tie a Tesco's bag to the blue duct
rope push it as far up the duct as you can.

Then completely vent in one go ,the air tank of the compressors they use
to power the jack hammers for digging up the road. Said bag disappears
up the duct dragging the rope with it.

I have seen 300m of duct rope installed in this way. It took several
attempts to do get it through and it cost me a pint because I bet the
guy he could not do it.
Old December 4th 18, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On 2018-11-27 12:59, I wrote:

[...]

I wondered where BT got the idea from.

A bot more sophisticated these days: -