A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 26th 18, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Lawrence
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

Can anyone advise me as to how to stop silent calls coming to my VoIP phone.
I am using Sipgate, and I get silent calls from a number that displays as IP
009024115794, I am not sure if all the calls are from the same number as
they are not recorded in the call log, and once the call stops, the number
disappears, but the calls come at all times, probably once every 3 days,
including during the night. If I answer the phone it is completely silent,
and if I let it go to the answerphone, no message is recorded.
I have blocked the number part on Sipgate, but still receive calls, anyone
any idea where the calls might be coming from, or what to do about them?
  #2  
Old December 26th 18, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 694
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On Wed 26/12/2018 10:28, David Lawrence wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how to stop silent calls coming to my VoIP
phone. I am using Sipgate, and I get silent calls from a number that
displays as IP 009024115794, I am not sure if all the calls are from the
same number as they are not recorded in the call log, and once the call
stops, the number disappears, but the calls come at all times, probably
once every 3 days, including during the night. If I answer the phone it
is completely silent, and if I let it go to the answerphone, no message
is recorded.
I have blocked the number part on Sipgate, but still receive calls,
anyone any idea where the calls might be coming from, or what to do
about them?


I don't know if it is possible to block an IP address on Sipgate - I've
never had the need to try it - but if you entered the numbers only it
certainly won't work.
You have to enter it as 009.024.115.794

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
  #3  
Old December 26th 18, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Lawrence
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On 26/12/2018 10:35, Woody wrote:
On Wed 26/12/2018 10:28, David Lawrence wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how to stop silent calls coming to my VoIP
phone. I am using Sipgate, and I get silent calls from a number that
displays as IP 009024115794, I am not sure if all the calls are from the
same number as they are not recorded in the call log, and once the call
stops, the number disappears, but the calls come at all times, probably
once every 3 days, including during the night. If I answer the phone it is
completely silent, and if I let it go to the answerphone, no message is
recorded.
I have blocked the number part on Sipgate, but still receive calls, anyone
any idea where the calls might be coming from, or what to do about them?


I don't know if it is possible to block an IP address on Sipgate - I've
never had the need to try it - but if you entered the numbers only it
certainly won't work.
You have to enter it as 009.024.115.794

Thanks Woody, I have just tried Blacklisting it on Sipgate in the format you
suggested, 009.024.115.794 and it said that it was not a valid phone number.
When I put just the number in before, it saved it in Blacklisted as
+90-24115794, and when I tried to edit that to your suggested format, it
said that the number was already Blaclisted.
  #4  
Old December 26th 18, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Woolley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On 26/12/2018 10:28, David Lawrence wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how to stop silent calls coming to my VoIP
phone. I am using Sipgate, and I get silent calls from a number that
displays as IP 009024115794, I am not sure if all the calls are


Are you sure it is coming via SIPGate and not direct to the phone?
  #5  
Old December 26th 18, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 564
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 10:28:12 UTC, David Lawrence wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how to stop silent calls coming to my VoIP phone.
I am using Sipgate, and I get silent calls from a number that displays as IP
009024115794, I am not sure if all the calls are from the same number as
they are not recorded in the call log, and once the call stops, the number
disappears, but the calls come at all times, probably once every 3 days,
including during the night. If I answer the phone it is completely silent,
and if I let it go to the answerphone, no message is recorded.
I have blocked the number part on Sipgate, but still receive calls, anyone
any idea where the calls might be coming from, or what to do about them?


Could be a dicky fax machine in Turkey.
  #6  
Old December 26th 18, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Lawrence
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On 26/12/2018 12:00, David Woolley wrote:
On 26/12/2018 10:28, David Lawrence wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how to stop silent calls coming to my VoIP
phone. I am using Sipgate, and I get silent calls from a number that
displays as IP 009024115794, I am not sure if all the calls are


Are you sure it is coming via SIPGate and not direct to the phone?


I have just checked on Sipgate and they say on their website, (after much
digging), that it will not be coming via them. They suggested changing the
Listen Port from 5060, and changing passwords etc. which I have now done. I
also found a couple of other old disused VoIP accounts, so I have closed
them down.
Below is the info I found from Sipgate, hopefully following this will have
cured my problem, and it might be useful to someone else.

Receiving Direct IP (SPIT) Calls from numbers like 100, 1001 and IP addresses?
Many phones support Direct IP calls.

Direct IP calling allowings one VoIP phone to call another VoIP phone by
dialling the destination phone's IP address directly without using a service
like sipgate.

Unwanted or nuisance Direct IP Calls are called SPIT calls (Spam over
Internet Telephony).
These calls aren't being made to your sipgate phone number or routing over
our network. You'll need to review your local network and VoIP phone
configuration to block these types of calls.

As a local network and phone security issue, the best support and assistance
will be provided by your VoIP device and/or router manufacturer's support teams.
Using a Local or Listen SIP Port value other than the default port value
5060 should put an end to these types of calls. While this may stop these
calls, this step alone is not a solution.

At the very minimum as an initial step, please change your sipgate login
and SIP Password, change the administrator passwords and update the firmware
used by your VoIP phones, routers and other networked devices as well as
scanning your computers, smartphones, etc for viruses and malware.

If your router firewall supports the option, you could limit VoIP traffic
to our IP ranges:

Security Settings: sipgate IP & Port Ranges
  #7  
Old December 26th 18, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Lawrence
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On 26/12/2018 12:09, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 10:28:12 UTC, David Lawrence wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how to stop silent calls coming to my VoIP phone.
I am using Sipgate, and I get silent calls from a number that displays as IP
009024115794, I am not sure if all the calls are from the same number as
they are not recorded in the call log, and once the call stops, the number
disappears, but the calls come at all times, probably once every 3 days,
including during the night. If I answer the phone it is completely silent,
and if I let it go to the answerphone, no message is recorded.
I have blocked the number part on Sipgate, but still receive calls, anyone
any idea where the calls might be coming from, or what to do about them?


Could be a dicky fax machine in Turkey.

I read a few days ago about spam faxes, and wondered if it was something to
do with that, (I have not got any faxes connected though), but I thought
incoming faxes usually give out a beep to tell the receiving fax to respond,
the calls I have been receiving were completely silent.
  #8  
Old December 26th 18, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 694
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On Wed 26/12/2018 13:16, David Lawrence wrote:
On 26/12/2018 12:00, David Woolley wrote:
On 26/12/2018 10:28, David Lawrence wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to how to stop silent calls coming to my VoIP
phone. I am using Sipgate, and I get silent calls from a number that
displays as IP 009024115794, I am not sure if all the calls are


Are you sure it is coming via SIPGate and not direct to the phone?


I have just checked on Sipgate and they say on their website, (after
much digging), that it will not be coming via them. They suggested
changing the Listen Port from 5060, and changing passwords etc. which I
have now done. I also found a couple of other old disused VoIP accounts,
so I have closed them down.
Below is the info I found from Sipgate, hopefully following this will
have cured my problem, and it might be useful to someone else.

Receiving Direct IP (SPIT) Calls from numbers like 100, 1001 and IP
addresses?
*Many phones support Direct IP calls.

Direct IP calling allowings one VoIP phone to call another VoIP phone by
dialling the destination phone's IP address directly without using a
service like sipgate.

Unwanted or nuisance Direct IP Calls are called SPIT calls (Spam over
Internet Telephony).
*These calls aren't being made to your sipgate phone number or routing
over our network. You'll need to review your local network and VoIP
phone configuration to block these types of calls.

As a local network and phone security issue, the best support and
assistance will be provided by your VoIP device and/or router
manufacturer's support teams.
*Using a Local or Listen SIP Port value other than the default port
value 5060 should put an end to these types of calls. While this may
stop these calls, this step alone is not a solution.

*At the very minimum as an initial step, please change your sipgate
login and SIP Password, change the administrator passwords and update
the firmware used by your VoIP phones, routers and other networked
devices as well as scanning your computers, smartphones, etc for viruses
and malware.

*If your router firewall supports the option, you could limit VoIP
traffic to our IP ranges:

Security Settings: sipgate IP & Port Ranges


I came across something on the Sipgate web site a month or two ago. Use
43160 as the SIP port, and the RTP ports min and max as 43104 and 43120.
Try them - you have nothing to loose, it works for me.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
  #9  
Old December 26th 18, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Lawrence
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On 26/12/2018 13:54, Woody wrote:

I came across something on the Sipgate web site a month or two ago. Use
43160 as the SIP port, and the RTP ports min and max as 43104 and 43120.
Try them - you have nothing to loose, it works for me.


Thanks Woody, I will try them if the problem resurfaces.


  #10  
Old December 29th 18, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Benham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 288
Default Silent calls from IP number via Sipgate

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:13:57 +0000, David Lawrence wrote:

On 26/12/2018 13:54, Woody wrote:

I came across something on the Sipgate web site a month or two ago. Use
43160 as the SIP port, and the RTP ports min and max as 43104 and 43120.
Try them - you have nothing to loose, it works for me.


Thanks Woody, I will try them if the problem resurfaces.


Changing the ports will almost certainly cut down on the spam calls,
but it's security through obfuscation. Firewalling is your friend
here, it sounds to me like your phone is wide open to the Internet
(or perhaps UPnP is involved). OK if you are ,
but not a good idea.

My VoIP is with AAISP who use a media gateway, so legit SIP and RTP
traffic all come from a known set of IP addresses. I've set the local
RTP ports to the low 5000s, so I can just allow through UDP 5000-5099
ports (which includes the 5060 SIP message port) from those addresses.
So far, no spam calls...
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Silent' updates for IE browser Java Jive uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 26 December 30th 11 09:03 AM
Tiscali / Talk Talk silent upgrade Harry Bloomfield uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 December 18th 10 10:19 AM
Silent Phone Line Test David uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 December 10th 08 07:35 PM
Getting random silent calls Joe Harrison uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 August 1st 05 11:20 PM
Is this possible: Connect to home pc via internet then dial out for free calls via home phone? [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 13 November 9th 04 01:18 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.