Sipgate to Voipfone and a problem with CSipSimple

Old January 9th 19, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Murmansk

Default Sipgate to Voipfone and a problem with CSipSimple

I've been using a free Sipgate account for a couple of years to provide the local number for incoming calls to my small business.This has worked well and cost me almost nothing as I don't really make any outgoing calls on the account.

Given that my phone number is now so important to my business I'm porting the number to Voipfone as I'd rather pay a bit of money each month so that if I have any problems I can get a quick response.

I've set up the Voipfone account details within CSipSimple on my Android phone and it appears to work OK BUT when my mobile is connected to wi-fi it won't work and comes up with an error message "488 Not Acceptable Here" when I try to make a call.

Are there any adjustments I can make to solve this issue?

Thanks
Old January 9th 19, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Murmansk wrote:

error message "488 Not Acceptable Here" when I try to make a call.

Codec mis-match?
Old January 9th 19, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

On Wed 09/01/2019 11:29, Andy Burns wrote:
Murmansk wrote:

error message "488 Not Acceptable Here" when I try to make a call.

Codec mis-match?

Google is your friend.

As Andy says it suggests you are not using G711a/ulaw. Try changing it
or if you have the capability put it to auto.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 9th 19, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Murmansk

Thanks

I've looked within the settings of CSipSimple and found a list of Codecs that doesn't include the ones mentioned so it looks like it won't work.

It's not a massive issue as I mainly use it for receiving calls to my VOIP line and I can use mobile data but thanks anyway.
Old January 9th 19, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Murmansk wrote:

I've looked within the settings of CSipSimple and found a list of
Codecs that doesn't include the ones mentioned

It might call them G711 rather than a-law/u-law

Old January 9th 19, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

On Wed 09/01/2019 18:38, Andy Burns wrote:
Murmansk wrote:

I've looked within the settings of CSipSimple and found a list of
Codecs that doesn't include the ones mentioned

It might call them G711 rather than a-law/u-law

CSipSimple works on my phone - the selected codes (fast) are Silk 24KHz,
PCMU8KHz and PCMA 8KHz.
For slow Silk 8KHz and GSM 8KHz along with the two PCMs as above.

I also have Voip.co.uk on my phone which uses essentially the same codecs.

Old January 9th 19, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Higton

In message
Murmansk wrote:

Thanks

I've looked within the settings of CSipSimple and found a list of Codecs
that doesn't include the ones mentioned so it looks like it won't work.

CSipSimple calls them "PCMU 8kHz" and "PCMA 8kHz". I've just checked
on my installed copy. Apparently CSipSimple has to be registered to
a SIP registration server (in your case, Sipgate's) in order for the
list of codecs to be visible within Settings. You should have both
of them ticked.

The SIP RFCs mandate that every SIP User Agent must support at least
G.711 mu-law (= "PCMU 8kHz"). The two G.711 codecs are the easiest
to support, so I bet you'll find that every User Agent supports them,
albeit maybe under different names.

Dave
Old January 10th 19, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 09/01/2019 21:28, David Higton wrote:
In message
Murmansk wrote:

Thanks

I've looked within the settings of CSipSimple and found a list of Codecs
that doesn't include the ones mentioned so it looks like it won't work.

CSipSimple calls them "PCMU 8kHz" and "PCMA 8kHz". I've just checked
on my installed copy. Apparently CSipSimple has to be registered to
a SIP registration server (in your case, Sipgate's) in order for the
list of codecs to be visible within Settings. You should have both
of them ticked.

The SIP RFCs mandate that every SIP User Agent must support at least
G.711 mu-law (= "PCMU 8kHz"). The two G.711 codecs are the easiest
to support, so I bet you'll find that every User Agent supports them,
albeit maybe under different names.

Dave

I also have the SILK 24 kHz codec.

--
Michael Chare
Old January 10th 19, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Murmansk

Success!!

I've ticked "PCMU 8kHz" and "PCMA 8kHz" and can now make calls when connected to wi-fi, not just mobile data, which was the problem

So thanks everyone!