A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 29th 19, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 475
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

As stated in other threads, I've used a Huawei E3372s 4G USB stick now
in 3 different routers, and it's given trouble in all of them - first
a DrayTek Vigor 2830n, next each of two BT Home Hub 5as that I have
posted about recently, and it's pretty much the same story on all of
them - particularly but by no means exclusively in bad weather, not
just rain, squalls of wind alone seem to be sufficient, the connection
drops, sometimes repeatedly several times in an hour. Each time the
router must at least be rebooted, or, always with the DrayTek, sometimes
with the HH5as, power-cycled. AFAIAA, despite the weather relatedness
this isn't a signal problem only, because my mobile always seems to have
a connection, and as it's happened similarly in so many routers, I guess
it's just a bad'un, and must be replaced.

I think I'll steer clear of Huawei though, so what 4G USB stick have
others tried that they would be happy to recommend?

:-( Died again while trying to send this )-:
  #2  
Old March 29th 19, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 414
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

Java Jive wrote:

I've used a Huawei E3372s 4G USB stick now in 3 different routers, and
it's given trouble in all of them


Mine is only as a backup, it has an EE SIM with 250MB of free data per
month (which I test every few weeks) so I can't speak about its
reliability as a primary device.

  #3  
Old March 30th 19, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 193
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

On 29/03/2019 15:03, Java Jive wrote:
As stated in other threads, I've used a Huawei E3372s 4G USB stick now
in 3 different routers, and it's given trouble in all of them* -* first
a DrayTek Vigor 2830n, next each of two BT Home Hub 5as that I have
posted about recently, and it's pretty much the same story on all of
them* -* particularly but by no means exclusively in bad weather, not
just rain, squalls of wind alone seem to be sufficient, the connection
drops, sometimes repeatedly several times in an hour.* Each time the
router must at least be rebooted, or, always with the DrayTek, sometimes
with the HH5as, power-cycled.* AFAIAA, despite the weather relatedness
this isn't a signal problem only, because my mobile always seems to have
a connection, and as it's happened similarly in so many routers, I guess
it's just a bad'un, and must be replaced.


Before you junk it try a couple of other tests which may sound barking
but could well be relevant. Find a USB extender cable and put the dongle
on the end of it closer to a window and as far from the router as you
can get it. The Wifi router is by its very nature RF noisy.

Switching off Wifi altogether might also have an effect.

Switch off any phone base stations you may have running. My brother in
laws poor to non-existent phone signal at home improved enormously when
we replaced his aging BT unit with our more recent Panasonic cast off.

I think I'll steer clear of Huawei though, so what 4G USB stick have
others tried that they would be happy to recommend?

*:-(* Died again while trying to send this* )-:


I have found the Hauwei stuff quite reliable. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
  #4  
Old March 30th 19, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

Martin Brown wrote:
Before you junk it try a couple of other tests which may sound barking
but could well be relevant. Find a USB extender cable and put the dongle
on the end of it closer to a window and as far from the router as you
can get it. The Wifi router is by its very nature RF noisy.


Also, try a powered hub at the far end of that extender cable.
I used to have a dongle that would work on a 2m cable but not a 5m cable.
I eventually surmised the reason was that the dongle was power hungry, and
the cable didn't have enough copper in it to deliver the power without
significant voltage drop.

If that's the case, you might find the dongle works until the weather gets
bad and it has to up the transmit power, which draws too much from the cable
and browns out the dongle.

I have found the Hauwei stuff quite reliable. YMMV


The classic E160 was a lot better than its ZTE contemporary. I've not
really paid attention to the market in the last decade though.

Theo
  #5  
Old March 30th 19, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 475
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

On 30/03/2019 12:57, Theo wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

Before you junk it try a couple of other tests which may sound barking
but could well be relevant. Find a USB extender cable and put the dongle
on the end of it closer to a window and as far from the router as you
can get it. The Wifi router is by its very nature RF noisy.


That's how it's always been for all three routers, 3m USB extension
cable to a point in the window recess where the nearest tower(s) are
visible.

Also, try a powered hub at the far end of that extender cable.
I used to have a dongle that would work on a 2m cable but not a 5m cable.
I eventually surmised the reason was that the dongle was power hungry, and
the cable didn't have enough copper in it to deliver the power without
significant voltage drop.


If I've got to power another device, surely it would make more sense to
make it a 4G router?

If that's the case, you might find the dongle works until the weather gets
bad and it has to up the transmit power, which draws too much from the cable
and browns out the dongle.


It's worse in changeable weather, but it's been too unreliable overall.

I have found the Hauwei stuff quite reliable. YMMV


The classic E160 was a lot better than its ZTE contemporary. I've not
really paid attention to the market in the last decade though.


This is the only Huawei device I've tried.

Thanks to all for the replies, but it seems I'm no nearer finding
another model of 4G USB stick that people consider reliable.
  #6  
Old March 30th 19, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 93
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

Java Jive wrote:

[snip]


Thanks to all for the replies, but it seems I'm no nearer finding
another model of 4G USB stick that people consider reliable.


Why are you using 4G? Is not ADSL or VDSL over your phone line more
reliable?


--
Graham J
  #7  
Old March 30th 19, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 475
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

On 30/03/2019 17:02, Graham J wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Thanks to all for the replies, but it seems I'm no nearer finding
another model of 4G USB stick that people consider reliable.


Why are you using 4G?* Is not ADSL or VDSL over your phone line more
reliable?


No it's desperately s-l-o-w, around 1.4Mbps, and is also unreliable on a
different timescale - in the past I've had to suffer several months at
half or less than that, and when this happens, OpenReach always try to
wriggle out of fixing it by declaring it a 'long-line issue' - one
fault lasted so long that I finally only got it fixed by stopping the
Direct Debit and writing to my MP. And then there is the issue of an
ISP dishonestly upping the monthly charge by 50% whenever your contract
expires, meaning that you must either:

:-( Reward such dishonest business practice by taking out another
contract with a dishonest ISP;

:-( Find another who probably will do the same to you in a year's time.

By contrast, my Virgin monthly bill is dirt cheap and has only ever
increased roughly by inflation each year - that's the sort of service
I think landline ISPs should be providing.
  #8  
Old March 30th 19, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 93
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

Java Jive wrote:
On 30/03/2019 17:02, Graham J wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Thanks to all for the replies, but it seems I'm no nearer finding
another model of 4G USB stick that people consider reliable.


Why are you using 4G?* Is not ADSL or VDSL over your phone line more
reliable?


No it's desperately s-l-o-w, around 1.4Mbps, and is also unreliable on a
different timescale* -* in the past I've had to suffer several months at
half or less than that, and when this happens, OpenReach always try to
wriggle out of fixing it by declaring it a 'long-line issue'* -* one
fault lasted so long that I finally only got it fixed by stopping the
Direct Debit and writing to my MP.* And then there is the issue of an
ISP dishonestly upping the monthly charge by 50% whenever your contract
expires, meaning that you must either:

:-( Reward such dishonest business practice by taking out another
contract with a dishonest ISP;

:-( Find another who probably will do the same to you in a year's time.

By contrast, my Virgin monthly bill is dirt cheap and has only ever
increased roughly by inflation each year* -* that's the sort of service
I think landline ISPs should be providing.


Understood.

A friend in a location where there is no ADSL whatever is using a 4G
router and external antennae (all from Solwise). It appears to be
reliable, but speeds range from 25mbits/sec down to 1.5mbits/sec
according to congestion.

In the past I helped him set up a WiFi point-to-point link with a nearby
farm where there was a reasonable ADSL service - about 5Mbits/sec. This
still works, but the farm has changed hands so my friend cannot rely on
continuation of this informal arrangement.

Have you thought of moving house?

--
Graham J
  #9  
Old March 30th 19, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 475
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

On 30/03/2019 20:36, Graham J wrote:

Have you thought of moving house?


Not an option.
  #10  
Old March 30th 19, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 193
Default Huawei E3372s - Generally crap, or am I just unlucky?

On 30/03/2019 17:55, Java Jive wrote:
On 30/03/2019 17:02, Graham J wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Thanks to all for the replies, but it seems I'm no nearer finding
another model of 4G USB stick that people consider reliable.


Why are you using 4G?* Is not ADSL or VDSL over your phone line more
reliable?


No it's desperately s-l-o-w, around 1.4Mbps, and is also unreliable on a
different timescale* -* in the past I've had to suffer several months at
half or less than that, and when this happens, OpenReach always try to
wriggle out of fixing it by declaring it a 'long-line issue'* -* one


It probably is. I have similar long line problems but at 5Mbps ADSL.

If I want anything faster I use a Hauwei 4G Mifi with 2 optional
external antennas (although I have only ever needed one and never
bothered to put it outside - it is mounted on a camera tripod pan tilt
head). Pointing is critical but you can work a remote node at speed this
way. eBay will sell you a brace of yagi antennas for about 10 each.

I use this one E5573 and have found it reliable but other less technical
folk have had serious problems making it work. Caveat emptor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U7POBOE

Its a bit long in the tooth now - newer models are available.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unlocked Huawei MiFi E5830 Anthony R. Gold uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 June 11th 10 03:39 PM
Huawei D100 router on 3 network James Egan uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 June 30th 09 12:40 PM
talktalk Huawei modem andrew uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 16 May 19th 08 10:31 PM
More information on 'Skype' and VOIP generally please! Jono uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 5 January 9th 06 09:02 AM
Watford Electronics. Cowboys or am I unlucky? demon news uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 15 February 28th 04 09:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.