Fibre to pole - what does it mean?

Old April 11th 19, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

Default Fibre to pole - what does it mean?

An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running
fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection".

What is this likely to mean? Are they setting it up so we can get
FTTP or are they installing a distribution point for faster FTTC?

-- Richard
Old April 11th 19, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Thu 11/04/2019 13:16, Richard Tobin wrote:
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running
fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection".

What is this likely to mean? Are they setting it up so we can get
FTTP or are they installing a distribution point for faster FTTC?

Essentially FTTC on a pole. I would assume there are not many lines off
the pole - less than eight maybe?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old April 11th 19, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 11/04/2019 13:23, Woody wrote:
On Thu 11/04/2019 13:16, Richard Tobin wrote:
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running
fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection".

What is this likely to mean?* Are they setting it up so we can get
FTTP or are they installing a distribution point for faster FTTC?

Essentially FTTC on a pole. I would assume there are not many lines off
the pole - less than eight maybe?

Is that a new cost effective variant of FTTRN. How does it draw power?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 11th 19, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 11 April 2019 13:20:02 UTC+1, Richard Tobin wrote:
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running
fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection".

What is this likely to mean? Are they setting it up so we can get
FTTP or are they installing a distribution point for faster FTTC?

-- Richard

FTTC usually gets to within a few hundred metres, but may limit DSL speed below theoretical maxim. I can 'only' get 50Mbps, so don't pay for a faster package.

FTTP would permit [much] higher DSL (down and up) speeds, although the overall bandwidth to a pole could be shared.
Old April 11th 19, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article , I wrote:
An engineer working on the pole near my house says they are running
fibre to it and I will have "a faster internet connection".

I see my exchange is on this list:

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreac...rward-look.pdf

So I guess its for FTTP.

-- Richard
Old April 11th 19, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Essentially FTTC on a pole. I would assume there are not many
lines off the pole - less than eight maybe?

Is that a new cost effective variant of FTTRN. How does it draw
power?

There is a variant of G.Fast where there is fibre to the pole, with a micro
DSLAM reverse powered over the copper drop wire by the router modem.

https://www.netcommwireless.com/site...pec-sheet-rev4.
pdf

But BT seems to be mostly installing G.Fast in FTTC cabinets so only customers
within 200m or something get the service. Obviously vastly cheaper than
pulling fibre.

Angus

Old April 12th 19, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dick

On 11/04/2019 13:23, Woody wrote:
On Thu 11/04/2019 13:16, Richard Tobin wrote:

Essentially FTTC on a pole.

No it isn't, it will be FTTP.
Old April 12th 19, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Dick" wrote in message
On 11/04/2019 13:23, Woody wrote:
On Thu 11/04/2019 13:16, Richard Tobin wrote:

Essentially FTTC on a pole.

No it isn't, it will be FTTP.

Would there be any join between the fibre that comes out of the ground and
up the pole, and the drop wire/fibre to the house? If not, it only needs a
strong wind or a rogue high-side vehicle to take out the drop wire and
you've got to remove the whole of that fibre, back to the nearest junction
box, and re-lay a new one, unless they have a way of joining fibres up a
pole - which is a precision job to get the fibres accurately aligned.

Old April 12th 19, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 11:44:27 +0100, NY wrote:

"Dick" wrote in message
On 11/04/2019 13:23, Woody wrote:
On Thu 11/04/2019 13:16, Richard Tobin wrote:

Essentially FTTC on a pole.

No it isn't, it will be FTTP.

Would there be any join between the fibre that comes out of the ground
and up the pole, and the drop wire/fibre to the house? If not, it only
needs a strong wind or a rogue high-side vehicle to take out the drop
wire and you've got to remove the whole of that fibre, back to the
nearest junction box, and re-lay a new one, unless they have a way of
joining fibres up a pole - which is a precision job to get the fibres
accurately aligned.

Outside where I am now there is a junction at the top of the pole - looks
like a bunch of black warts.

Four pairs on a block, each with an individual plastic cover.

Looks as though you just plug in a fibre connection to run from the top of
the pole to the house.

I assume it is much like plugging a fibre connector into a router; pre-
made cable.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1
Old April 12th 19, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

https://www.netcommwireless.com/site...-4100-01-spec-

sheet-rev4.
pdf

But BT seems to be mostly installing G.Fast in FTTC cabinets so only
customers within 200m or something get the service. Obviously vastly
cheaper than pulling fibre.

Angus

Not what I am seeing. The link shows something that is an alternative to
FTTP.
I think I am seeing true FTTP with plug in connectors, 8 to a block, at
the top of the pole.

Cheers

Dave R

--