What speed should I expect from Plusnet

Old May 6th 19, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

Default What speed should I expect from Plusnet

I have a standard PN "unlimited BB" account

I had one in my previous abode with no complaints

but at my new flat it appears rather slow. (currently downloading a 700MB
YouTube file - estimated time 10 hours, used to take 1-2 hours.)

Just did a check using:

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

(is that a good place?)

and I am getting 2Mb/s

PN advertising says 10Mb (I assume per second)

a) should I be complaining? (I think I know the answer is yes)

b) what solution should I expect?

tim

Old May 6th 19, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"tim..." wrote in message
I have a standard PN "unlimited BB" account

I had one in my previous abode with no complaints

but at my new flat it appears rather slow. (currently downloading a 700MB
YouTube file - estimated time 10 hours, used to take 1-2 hours.)

Just did a check using:

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

(is that a good place?)

and I am getting 2Mb/s

PN advertising says 10Mb (I assume per second)

I bet it says "*up to* 10 Mbps" - ie you may get less, depending on the
length of your phone line to the exchange. This is a function of BT's phone
line, and will not vary much from one ISP to another if the connection
protocol (eg ADSL for normal non-fibre connection) is the same.

However if the "What Broadband Speed Can I Get?" link for your postcode and
landline number gives a significantly higher speed (eg it says 4 Mbps and
you only get 2 Mbps) then it might be worth getting Plusnet to investigate.
Before you do that, how long has your broadband been enabled at your
address - it can take a couple of weeks (at worst!) for the exchange
equipment to train itself to the capabilities of your line. Also, try taking
readings at various times of day: best results are probable overnight or
early morning when other people are less likely to be using the internet.

In short: the best results are a function of your BT line, but the amount
that the speed drops at busy times of day may be a function of the ISP and
the number of your neighbours who share the same connection to Plusnet's
internet connection.

Old May 6th 19, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"tim..." wrote in message
I have a standard PN "unlimited BB" account

I had one in my previous abode with no complaints

but at my new flat it appears rather slow. (currently downloading a
700MB YouTube file - estimated time 10 hours, used to take 1-2 hours.)

Just did a check using:

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

(is that a good place?)

and I am getting 2Mb/s

PN advertising says 10Mb (I assume per second)

I bet it says "*up to* 10 Mbps" - ie you may get less,

well yes

But I don't think that 2Mbps is within an acceptable margin of error, do
you?

depending on the length of your phone line to the exchange.

well the building that says Telephone Exchange on the outside is about a
mile away.

Though with modern technology I suppose it could be somewhere else :-)

This is a function of BT's phone line, and will not vary much from one ISP
to another if the connection protocol (eg ADSL for normal non-fibre
connection) is the same.

However if the "What Broadband Speed Can I Get?" link for your postcode
and

link from where?

That link from .broadbandspeedchecker just gives me a list of suppliers in
my area offering speeds up to 127Mbps - presumably with fibre

landline number

and it doesn't ask for LL number

gives a significantly higher speed (eg it says 4 Mbps and you only get 2
Mbps) then it might be worth getting Plusnet to investigate. Before you do
that, how long has your broadband been enabled at your address - it can
take a couple of weeks (at worst!) for the exchange equipment to train
itself to the capabilities of your line.

several months

I had it installed whilst I was babysitting the builder refurbishing it, so
that I could use it when I had nothing else to do (not having brought a TV
along)

try taking readings at various times of day: best results are probable
overnight or early morning when other people are less likely to be using
the internet.

I realise that Bank Holiday evening is likely to be the worse, but that
still doesn't make it acceptable

In short: the best results are a function of your BT line, but the amount
that the speed drops at busy times of day may be a function of the ISP and
the number of your neighbours who share the same connection to Plusnet's
internet connection.

I had a look at who else in my block/road has PN and I can only see one
other

Thanks

tim

Old May 6th 19, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 06/05/2019 20:57, tim... wrote:
I had a look at who else in my block/road has PN and I can only see one
other

Can you get FTTC at your address? That would give you an enormous
improvement at 1 mile form the exchange - except they may not have
enabled it with you so close.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

What internal telephone wiring do you have? Any extensions? Unplug them
all, put the router straight on the master socket, and give it a while.
If it improves there may be things you can do yourself.

Ask your neighbours what speed they are getting. They'll all be using
Openreach wires, even if they aren't on Plusnet.

Andy
Old May 6th 19, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

tim... wrote:

"NY" wrote:

"tim..." wrote:

I am getting 2Mb/s

PN advertising says 10Mb (I assume per second)

I bet it says "*up to* 10 Mbps" - ie you may get less,

well yes

But I don't think that 2Mbps is within an acceptable margin of error, do
you?

regardless of what the advert says, OFCOM says that ISPs must now give
you a guaranteed minimum speed, what did plusnet say when you signed-up?

Old May 6th 19, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

On 06/05/2019 20:01, tim... wrote:
I have a standard PN "unlimited BB" account

I had one in my previous abode with no complaints

but at my new flat it appears rather slow.* (currently downloading a 700MB YouTube file - estimated time 10 hours, used to take 1-2 hours.)

Just did a check using:

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

(is that a good place?)

and I am getting 2Mb/s

You should investigate whether you can get fibre (to the cabinet). We also use Plusnet and used to get 6-8 Mb/s. After we upgraded to FTTC we now get, typically, over 30 Mb/s. And the monthly rental has actually gone down slightly, because of the bizarre set of discounts that you can get from Plusnet (and lots of others). This is now a one-year contract so the cost will, no doubt, go up hugely at the end of the year, so I'll have to renegotiate. But that's the way things are currently.

--
Clive Page
Old May 6th 19, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 06/05/2019 20:01, tim... wrote:

I have a standard PN "unlimited BB" account

I had one in my previous abode with no complaints

but at my new flat it appears rather slow.* (currently downloading a
700MB YouTube file - estimated time 10 hours, used to take 1-2 hours.)

Just did a check using:

Were you still downloading the above file? If so, the test below will
definitely underestimate your actual speed. Also ...

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

(is that a good place?)

No, it downloads advertisements while doing the test which also
therefore underestimates your maximum speed. And both this and the
above will be more significant the slower your speed is overall. Try
instead one of ...
https://www.netmeter.co.uk/
https://broadbandtest.which.co.uk/
.... but NOT while you're downloading or doing anything else on the web,
as above.

and I am getting 2Mb/s

PN advertising says 10Mb (I assume per second)

a) should I be complaining? (I think I know the answer is yes)

b) what solution should I expect?

It depends ...

First, test using an advert-free site while not doing anything else on
the web before you attempt to draw any conclusions.

Second, as others have suggested, try connecting the router to the
master socket with all phones and extensions removed from the circuit,
and testing again.

Third, do a quiet line test. If there's noise on the line, raise a
support ticket with PlusNet for a noisy voice line. Then test the
broadband after that's been fixed.

Fourth, don't forget that although the exchange may only be a mile away
as the crow flies or by shortest street distance, even the latter may
not be the route that your street's connections follow. So, as
suggested by others, try and find out what your most immediate
neighbours are getting. If they're getting significantly better speeds
than you, then ...

Fifth, raise a support ticket with Plusnet specifically about the
broadband speed.
Old May 6th 19, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Mon, 06 May 2019 22:19:13 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Fourth, don't forget that although the exchange may only be a mile away
as the crow flies or by shortest street distance, even the latter may
not be the route that your street's connections follow. So, as
suggested by others, try and find out what your most immediate
neighbours are getting. If they're getting significantly better speeds
than you, then ...

And remember that even that isn't a perfect test. This house is the
middle of a terrace of three. The outer two are connected to a cabinet
just down the road. Ours is 1.3km away. Speeds are very different!

Old May 6th 19, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 06 May 2019 22:19:13 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Fourth, don't forget that although the exchange may only be a mile away
as the crow flies or by shortest street distance, even the latter may
not be the route that your street's connections follow. So, as
suggested by others, try and find out what your most immediate
neighbours are getting. If they're getting significantly better speeds
than you, then ...

And remember that even that isn't a perfect test. This house is the
middle of a terrace of three. The outer two are connected to a cabinet
just down the road. Ours is 1.3km away. Speeds are very different!

Look at the statistics in the router. If you don't know how to do this,
ask here.

The downstream sync speed is the crucial factor. Tell us this value,
the downstream SNR margin, and the downstream loop attenuation.

The download speed as measured from a speedtest site should be about 85%
of the downstream sync speed. The limiting factor is the length of the
phone line. If the SNR margin is about 6dB (for ADSL) then you are
getting probably the optimum speed. If the SNR margin is higher than
6dB then in principle you could get a faster speed.

If the speedtest values are significantly lower than 85% of the sync
speed then change your ISP.

--
Graham J
Old May 6th 19, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_3_]

tim... wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"tim..." wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

It's supposed to be the most reliable test for a BT Openreach line, which I
think PlusNet uses.

The obvious thing for you to do, as others have suggested, is to upgrade to
FTTC. I don't think it costs anything, and the monthly charge is much the
same. Depending on how far you are from the cabinet, your speeds shoot up.

Providing my line to the cabinet is in good shape, I get up to about
50Mbps. I just did a test with my iPad over wifi and got:

Download Speed (Mbps): 50.64
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 6.42
Ping Latency (ms): 25

I repeated the test and got:

Download Speed (Mbps): 51.44
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 8.09
Ping Latency (ms): 28

The wired connection to my PC would probably be faster. These speeds are
many times faster than I got on ADSL2.

However, I recently had a period when the performance slumped to about
5Mbps, probably because of noise on the copper wire to the cabinet. I
complained, and Openreach managed to get it back to over 50. BT offered a
refund of all my broadband fee for the period of poor performance.

Incidentally, I thought all Openreach lines had similar performance,
regardless of ISP.