Virgin Broadband

Old May 28th 19, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

Default Virgin Broadband

My street and many others in my area were cabled by Virgin Media some
weeks ago. Considering how expensive I have heard that it is to do so,
I am surprised that they seem to be taking their time in connecting us
to their network. I have heard that it can take up to a year or never
happen.

Does anybody have any more info on time-scales?
--
Cheers,

DrT

*** The problem with marriage is ***
*** that there's no casting vote!! ***
Old May 28th 19, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

DrTeeth wrote:

My street and many others in my area were cabled by Virgin Media some
weeks ago. Considering how expensive I have heard that it is to do so,
I am surprised that they seem to be taking their time in connecting us
to their network. I have heard that it can take up to a year or never
happen.

Does anybody have any more info on time-scales?

They fibre'd up this village a couple of years ago, didn't take more
than a month or two for the deluge of marketing bumpf to start and those
who sign-ed up get to installed.
Old May 28th 19, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Tue 28/05/2019 11:39, DrTeeth wrote:
My street and many others in my area were cabled by Virgin Media some
weeks ago. Considering how expensive I have heard that it is to do so,
I am surprised that they seem to be taking their time in connecting us
to their network. I have heard that it can take up to a year or never
happen.

Does anybody have any more info on time-scales?

Do note that the VM service is very reliable and fast, and as far as I
can tell is unrestricted in what you can look at (VoIP works well as
well) but watch out for the charges. They increase them every year by
several percent. If you have a go at Retentions they can often do a good
deal for you but that might involve an increase in speed, and they will
NEVER let you go to a slower package - although that might change from
next Feb when the new OfCom rules come into play. Also it is usually
cheaper to have broadband and phone than to have broadband alone.

The router they provide - Superhub 3 by Netgear - is not the best in the
world, SH2 was better. However they do provide you with the facility to
go into the hub and change it into modem mode so that you can use your
own router. I use a TP-Link Archer D2 and the system/network works very
well - it is all Gigabit. If you go down that route (sic!) note that
when you put the hub into modem mode the wi-fi goes off, only socket 1
on the back works, and the IP address changes from 192.168.1.1 to
192.168.100.1 - as is shown on the hub label.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old May 28th 19, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 28/05/2019 12:24, Woody wrote:
On Tue 28/05/2019 11:39, DrTeeth wrote:
My street and many others in my area were cabled by Virgin Media some
weeks ago. Considering how expensive I have heard that it is to do so,
I am surprised that they seem to be taking their time in connecting us
to their network. I have heard that it can take up to a year or never
happen.

Does anybody have any more info on time-scales?

Do note that the VM service is very reliable and fast,

It depends. Round my way, the cabinets are made of metal slightly
thinner than used for drinks cans, and the so called locks are a disgrace.

The internal wiring of them is a shambles, (and because of the above, I
can stroll up to any box, and take a look without any physical contact)
on a par with the mess of jelly beans I see in BT PCPs, but way behind
that of BT FTTC cabinets.

Bargepoles and all that....

--
Mark
Old May 28th 19, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Tue 28/05/2019 14:57, Mark Carver wrote:
[...]

Actually Mark it is very dependent upon which part of VM you inhabit.
Remember the NTL side (75% of VM) came about through takeover of a lot
of other organisations such as Cabletel (the base of NTL Cable), Nynex,
Dircon, Videotron, Bell Cablemedia and so it goes on. The I&C quality
was very variant from the sort of thing you are seeing up to the
relatively high standard of Bell. I started as a beta tester for NTL
(dial up!) which soon went onto broadband around 2001, and in all that
time we have only ever had three outages and one of those was due to a
drunk driving into a street cab!

Old May 28th 19, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Caspersz

[...]

Best to ask neighbours on how their service performs before signing up.
Virgin are known to have areas that are over subscribed which can kill
throughput or give bad latency (stuttering video) even though the local
infrastructure is zippy.

And then there is the state of some of their roadside cabinets.

And then their marketing methods, shafting long term customers,

And then their ruining of UK TiVo,

And then their ownership, present and past

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole here.

--
Adrian C

Old May 28th 19, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 28/05/2019 16:51, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[snip]

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole here.

Couldn't touch them with a pole or anything else around here. No service
anywhere in the area and unlikely to be in either the near or long term
future...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 28th 19, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 28/05/2019 16:51, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[snip]

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole here.

Couldn't touch them with a pole or anything else around here. No service
anywhere in the area and unlikely to be in either the near or long term
future...

We use them for fibre/cable broadband. No problems so far. Also now have a
mobile sim only contract. £10 a month for 10gig data and more minutes and
texts than I'll ever use.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old May 28th 19, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 28/05/2019 17:38, Tim+ wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 28/05/2019 16:51, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[snip]

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole here.

Couldn't touch them with a pole or anything else around here. No service
anywhere in the area and unlikely to be in either the near or long term
future...

We use them for fibre/cable broadband. No problems so far. Also now have a
mobile sim only contract. £10 a month for 10gig data and more minutes and
texts than I'll ever use.

£10 lasts me at least a couple of years on PAYG. The Three Data Reward
SIM gives me more data than I'll ever need while I'm out and I send
about a dozen texts a year if that.

--
Ria in Aberdeen