Someone's "stolen" our line pair ;-)

Old June 7th 19, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

Default Someone's "stolen" our line pair ;-)

We've just moved into a new house. We ordered phone/broadband from our ISP
(Plusnet) yesterday and the BT Openreach engineer came this morning to set
everything up - and found that yesterday another engineer had disconnected
the line-pair to our house and used it for another customer, believing that
it was unused because the previous occupants had ceased the phone/broadband
service and we hadn't yet (by a mere couple of hours!) submitted our order.
Interestingly, I happened to plug a phone in two days ago and got a dialling
tone, so evidently the line was still connected to the exchange at that
time - looks as if the other engineer may not have done all the "is this
line-pair still in use" checks...

What happens in this situation? Are BT OR obliged to find a replacement pair
in the underground cable, even if that means installing a new cable of which
our pair is the first to be used? Or can they say "sorry, there are no spare
pairs so you cannot have a landline phone and ADSL or VDSL internet
service"?

Old June 7th 19, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

What happens in this situation? Are BT OR obliged to find a
replacement pair in the underground cable, even if that means
installing a new cable

Yes, they accepted the order, have to provide service, and pay you 5 daily
compensation for every day it's not provided. At least provided they promised
a date in writing, which might be wonderful get out clause since BT stopped
writing to me long ago about orders.

This is not new, 25 years ago I ordered another BT line and the engineer
decided the telegraph pole was too dangerous to climb, so it was replaced and
we got a lot of money for the 10 day delay.

Angus

Old June 7th 19, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 07/06/2019 17:06, NY wrote:
We've just moved into a new house. We ordered phone/broadband from our
ISP (Plusnet) yesterday and the BT Openreach engineer came this morning
to set everything up -

Set what up exactly ? There are no engineer visits for ADSL or VDSL
provision these days (and certainly not for any PlusNet provided
service) You already have a master socket installed ?

--
Mark
Old June 7th 19, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in
message .co.uk...
What happens in this situation? Are BT OR obliged to find a
replacement pair in the underground cable, even if that means
installing a new cable

Yes, they accepted the order, have to provide service, and pay you 5
daily
compensation for every day it's not provided. At least provided they
promised
a date in writing, which might be wonderful get out clause since BT
stopped
writing to me long ago about orders.

This is not new, 25 years ago I ordered another BT line and the engineer
decided the telegraph pole was too dangerous to climb, so it was replaced
and
we got a lot of money for the 10 day delay.

And of course an interesting arms-length relationship: our contract is with
Plusnet who in turn contract BT OR to provide the phone and ADSL or VDSL
service.

The engineer bemoaned the effect of H&S on the job: he was unable to go
into our loft to trace where the incoming cable from the drop cable went
because it's not boarded (so I went up and looked myself!) and he couldn't
inspect a junction box on the gable end because it's not possible to put a
ladder up to it, because there are two ridge roofs of different height and
the drop cable from the pole is mounted on the vertical wall between the two
heights (in the olden days he'd have clambered up onto the lower set of
tiles and stood on the ridge). But if those things prevent accidents, then
it's probably H&S for the right reasons.

It's frustrating at present having to switch my PC between two wifi
networks: a private one to the router and all the other computers in the
house, and the other created by tethering from my mobile phone's internet
when I need to "go public". I hope it gets sorted out soon...

Old June 7th 19, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 07/06/2019 17:47, NY wrote:

It's frustrating at present having to switch my PC between two wifi
networks: a private one to the router and all the other computers in the
house, and the other created by tethering from my mobile phone's
internet when I need to "go public".

If you have the right equipment you can get round that ...

+ Your main router has a WAN ethernet port

+ You have a spare router which either is already or could be
configured as a client-bridge.

You configure the client-bridge to connect to your phone's WiFi
tethering, and connect one of its LAN ports to the WAN port of your
router, and configure your router to use the WAN port as a backup for
when there is no connection on the ADSL port.
Old June 7th 19, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

On 07/06/2019 17:06, NY wrote:
We've just moved into a new house. We ordered phone/broadband from our
ISP (Plusnet) yesterday and the BT Openreach engineer came this morning
to set everything up -

Set what up exactly ? There are no engineer visits for ADSL or VDSL
provision these days (and certainly not for any PlusNet provided
service) You already have a master socket installed ?

The customer preemies is a good place to start in the circumstances,
so he can confirm there is no service, explain what's happening to the
customer, inject a tone at the master socket to identify the D-side
pair in the DP and PCP, get a cuppa, use the toilet...

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old June 7th 19, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

What happens in this situation? Are BT OR obliged to find a
replacement pair in the underground cable, even if that means
installing a new cable

Yes, they accepted the order, have to provide service, and pay you 5 daily
compensation for every day it's not provided. At least provided they promised
a date in writing, which might be wonderful get out clause since BT stopped
writing to me long ago about orders.

This is not new, 25 years ago I ordered another BT line and the engineer
decided the telegraph pole was too dangerous to climb, so it was replaced and
we got a lot of money for the 10 day delay.

Angus

So that's why the buggers want you to go "paperless"?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old June 7th 19, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 17:45:01 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

On 07/06/2019 17:06, NY wrote:
We've just moved into a new house. We ordered phone/broadband from our
ISP (Plusnet) yesterday and the BT Openreach engineer came this morning
to set everything up -

Set what up exactly ? There are no engineer visits for ADSL or VDSL
provision these days (and certainly not for any PlusNet provided
service) You already have a master socket installed ?

It's a new house. I suspect the line goes as far as the 'grey box' on the
wall outside, and the 'engineer' was there to install the final few
metres and the master socket.
Old June 7th 19, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 07/06/2019 17:06, NY wrote:
We've just moved into a new house. We ordered phone/broadband from our
ISP (Plusnet) yesterday and the BT Openreach engineer came this morning
to set everything up -

Set what up exactly ? There are no engineer visits for ADSL or VDSL
provision these days (and certainly not for any PlusNet provided
service) You already have a master socket installed ?

It's a new house.

Oh, it's *new* as in, just built, now I get it...

--
Mark
Old June 7th 19, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On 07/06/2019 17:06, NY wrote:
We've just moved into a new house. We ordered phone/broadband from
our ISP (Plusnet) yesterday and the BT Openreach engineer came this
morning to set everything up -

Set what up exactly ? There are no engineer visits for ADSL or VDSL
provision these days (and certainly not for any PlusNet provided
service) You already have a master socket installed ?

It's a new house.

Oh, it's *new* as in, just built, now I get it...

MY assumption could have been equally faulty, I now realise!