Mismatch between WAN IP address given by F8LURE and one given by router

Old July 3rd 19, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

Default Mismatch between WAN IP address given by F8LURE and one given by router

My router reports that its WAN IP address is in the dyn.plus.net domain,
which makes sense since Plusnet are our ISP. The GRC Shields Up site, and
the Net Analyzer app on Android, report this same address.

But F8LURE (http://fruk.net/index.php?fruk=f8lure) reports a completely
different IP address, in the in-addr.btopenworld.com domain.

Should I be worried by this mismatch? F8LURE reports ping times that roughly
correspond with times to ping (for example) fruk.net (a reverse of the
F8LURE test), at a consistent rate.

It's interesting that when I run Ookla Speedtest (on Windows or Android),
the connection source is reported as being "BT" whereas I'm sure it used to
be reported as "Plusnet" at our old house (which was a different user ID but
still FTTC by Plusnet).

Old July 3rd 19, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

NY wrote:

My router reports that its WAN IP address is in the dyn.plus.net domain,
which makes sense since Plusnet are our ISP. The GRC Shields Up site,
and the Net Analyzer app on Android, report this same address.

That seems perfectly reasonable. Plusnet could sell you a fixed IP
address for a one-off payment of 5 - this could be a useful investment.

But F8LURE (http://fruk.net/index.php?fruk=f8lure) reports a completely
different IP address, in the in-addr.btopenworld.com domain.

I don't understand this.

My understanding of F8Lure is that YOU tell it your IP address, and it
pings that IP regularly about once per second, graphing the results.

If you don't have a static IP address then you can configure your router
to register with a dynamic DNS service, which will generate a domain
name (of the form NovemberYellow.dyndns.org) and manage the public DNS
lookup of this domain name so that it is updated quickly whenever your
router gets a new IP from your service provider. You can provide that
domain name to F8Lure rather than an IP address.

Not all routers support the dynamic DNS capability, and some only do so
for a limited range of providers.

So I don't understand what it F8Lure reporting.

It is of course possible that several different domain names may be
mapped to a given IP address.

Should I be worried by this mismatch? F8LURE reports ping times that
roughly correspond with times to ping (for example) fruk.net (a reverse
of the F8LURE test), at a consistent rate.

Given that we don't know what F8Lure is pinging and why, this probably
has no significance.

It's interesting that when I run Ookla Speedtest (on Windows or
Android), the connection source is reported as being "BT" whereas I'm
sure it used to be reported as "Plusnet" at our old house (which was a
different user ID but still FTTC by Plusnet).

Ookla will look up the IP that you run the test from (which probably
will change from time to time) in their own database. What that
contains is anybody's guess.

--
Graham J
Old July 3rd 19, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

NY wrote:

[snip]

I'm not sure whether I've been incredible dense in not understanding how
to "drive" f8lure, or whether it's not very obvious that the graphs that
you see initially are not yours.

Sorry, but I think the words of explanation at:

http://fruk.net/index.php?fruk=f8lure

.... are pretty clear - it's only a matter of reading them!

Having said that, I only found F8Lure because I had previously used L8nc
and I knew what I wanted before I started looking. I had actually
written something simpler to run on an old laptop - it simply logs
connection up- and down-times but will work with anything on my LAN or
on any connections I have via a VPN - so useful for monitoring
customers' servers or other equipment. But I never recorded ping times
or attempted to draw graphs.

--
Graham J
Old July 3rd 19, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Graham J" wrote in message
Sorry, but I think the words of explanation at:

http://fruk.net/index.php?fruk=f8lure

... are pretty clear - it's only a matter of reading them!

I think they don't make it as clear as they should that the graphs which are
displayed when you visit that page are examples only, and that you need to
do something else (register) in order to see your own results.

Maybe I approached it from the point of view of Shields Up and *assumed*
that F8lure would behave in the same way, and would interrogate your
connection to get your WAN IP automatically and would then display
information that actually related to your connection, not just display
sample graphs.

As it happens, F8lure will not work for me because my router, a Plusnet "Hub
One", cannot be made to respond to incoming pings (unless I put on different
firmware). If I ever need to monitor ping times over a period of time, I'll
have to use my TP-Link router which I presume *can* be set to respond to
pings. I got the Plusnet one free of charge (not even post and packing) so I
thought I'd take it as insurance in case I ever have a problem where Plusnet
say "what happens with our router?" even if I use the TP-Link one normally.
My wife reckons the PN router gives better wifi coverage at extremities of
the house than the TP-Link.

Old July 4th 19, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 10:07:31 +0100, Graham J wrote:

I find it very useful to run this sort of monitoring tool all the time.
It gives a baseline of typical performance so that when even small
changes occur they are evident. Trends in performance can also be
useful in pre-empting more serious failures.

Luckily, my ISP does all that for me. Note the second (FireBrick) graph.
My ISP are the originators of the FireBrick...
Old July 5th 19, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 03/07/2019 21:59, NY wrote:
As it happens, F8lure will not work for me because my router, a Plusnet
"Hub One", cannot be made to respond to incoming pings

I can probably sort that if you want to share your serial number?

Old July 5th 19, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

Oh, thanks. It's

+081441+NQ90266987

It's always useful to be able to set a router to respond to pings, in case
of problems.

Will your change just turn it on, or will it enable a previously-hidden
check box on the router's web config to allow me to turn it on and off as
required?

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...

Old July 5th 19, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 05/07/2019 11:57, NY wrote:
Oh, thanks. It's

+081441+NQ90266987

It's always useful to be able to set a router to respond to pings, in
case of problems.

Sorted.

Will your change just turn it on, or will it enable a previously-hidden
check box on the router's web config to allow me to turn it on and off
as required?

It doesn't expose any options via the web interface I'm afraid, so if
you wanted to turn it off your best bet would be a factory reset.