BT HomeHubs now 'loaned'

Old December 18th 19, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Default BT HomeHubs now 'loaned'

BT Phone Residential Phone Tariff:
https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_Pho...esidential.pdf

"BT Home Hub
We'll supply a BT Home Hub to all customers taking BT Broadband, Superfast
Fibre or Fibre 100/ 250 where the package includes it, or a new Hub is
required for the service to work. This may be a new or reconditioned hub. BT
customers who joined before 13.12.19, who request a replacement hub, may be
supplied with a reconditioned hub. A reconditioned hub is one which has been
reconditioned to an “as new” standard and is supplied with the same 12 month
warranty that would apply to a brand new hub. When you end the BT Broadband
service you must return the BT Hub that was loaned to you, within 60 days
from the date the service is terminated. If you fail to do this then you'll
have to pay 43 for a Hub 4, 43 for a Smart Hub or 50 for a Smart Hub 2."

Has this always been the case (that BT technically owned the HomeHub), or
has it recently changed? Do they enforce returns now?

Theo
Old December 18th 19, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 12/18/2019 8:15 AM, Theo wrote:
[...]

When we finally got fibre this summer, the paperwork said we owned the
hub, but the disc belonged to them.
Old December 18th 19, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Johnson[_3_]

On 18 Dec 2019 13:15:09 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

[...]

When I cancelled the TV service that I had with Plusnet (owned by BT)
I was surprised to receive, a few weeks later, a mailing bag which I
guessed, there was no exlanation, I was expected to use to return the
TV box, which was a bit late because I'd already sold it to someone on
eBay. I put the mailer in the recycling and heard no more about it.
Old December 18th 19, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 13:15:12 UTC, Theo wrote:
[...]

One used to pay a small fee and the hub belonged to you.

OTOH BT sent return packaging to [optionally] return the old hub.

When I got my HH6, I kept the HH5 as a back up, but returned a HH2, a old BT Business hub and another.

I had [free] BT sport for a while. After 18 months I renewed at a very reasonable 3 per month, but 16 days later BT reneged [YET AGAIN!] and more than doubled the price, so I immediately cancelled. This box I was told to keep and whilst it is useless for anything online, it still works happily (but very occasionally plugged into a monitor) as Freeview HD receiver.

I don't think BT will actively try to recover unless the customer cancels during the cooling off period.

Many years ago ITV* digital went belly up and there was for a while an attempt to recover their boxes, but the whole fiasco was so embarrassing for ITV, that they quickly gave up. I remember putting one of their boxes in my trolley at Makro, but as I wheeled it round I noticed that despite costing over 100 the small print said the receiver remained On Digital's property. I literally threw the worthless cardboard box on the floor.

* there was some sneaky name changing to protect the guilty, probably still in the archives of this group.
Old December 19th 19, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

wrote:

[...]

Since BT hubs are locked to their internet service, in the same way as
mobile phones can be locked to a phone service, there wouldn't be any
point in keeping it anyway, so who it belongs to is academic.

Cable internet hubs are the same. Only one company provides cable
internet in the UK and has always locked their modems - or to be
precise, it's effectively the service that's locked so it will only
work with the correct modem (identified by MAC address) which has the
same end result - they're no use anywhere else in the UK.

Rod.
Old December 19th 19, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

It might have been some sort of insurance against nationalisation should Corbyn have won.

As in side thread I kept my HH5 in case of failure or damage to my new HH6.

Old December 19th 19, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MikeS

wrote:

[...]

If you search you will find that there is wide interest in unwanted BT
hubs because they can be hacked to install open source firmware like
OpenWRT. They then make useful WiFi routers.

Old December 20th 19, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:52:11 +0000, MikeS wrote:

Since BT hubs are locked to their internet service, in the same way as
mobile phones can be locked to a phone service, there wouldn't be any
point in keeping it anyway, so who it belongs to is academic.

Rod.

If you search you will find that there is wide interest in unwanted BT
hubs because they can be hacked to install open source firmware like
OpenWRT. They then make useful WiFi routers.

That doesn't surprise me, as my own experience in houses equipped with
the more recent BT hubs is that whatever you think of BT as a service
provider, the wireless performace of their hubs is very good.

Rod.
Old December 21st 19, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 20 December 2019 10:20:38 UTC, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:52:11 +0000, MikeS wrote:

Since BT hubs are locked to their internet service, in the same way as
mobile phones can be locked to a phone service, there wouldn't be any
point in keeping it anyway, so who it belongs to is academic.

Rod.

If you search you will find that there is wide interest in unwanted BT
hubs because they can be hacked to install open source firmware like
OpenWRT. They then make useful WiFi routers.

That doesn't surprise me, as my own experience in houses equipped with
the more recent BT hubs is that whatever you think of BT as a service
provider, the wireless performace of their hubs is very good.

Rod.

Well pretty good.

HH6 also greatly increased the speed of access to a plugged in [network] drive as well as being highly reliable on the DSL side.
Old January 12th 20, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 18/12/2019 13:15, Theo wrote:
Has this always been the case (that BT technically owned the HomeHub), or
has it recently changed?

I believe it's a fairly recent thing.