VOIP DECT base with answering machine

Old February 6th 20, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Default VOIP DECT base with answering machine

I'm looking to replace my PAP2 and fleet of wired-in Gigaset bases with
something that speaks DECT to the Gigaset handsets directly. It would be
useful for it to have answering machine capability in some way - either
traditional push-button on the unit/handset or some kind of voicemail.
As it'll be hooked up to multiple accounts and multiple providers, I'd
rather have the functionality at my end rather than rely on providers'
voicemail.

Currently on the shortlist is the Gigaset N300A IP.
In fact, that's the only one I can find with answering machine capability.
There are some newer Gigaset phones with a VOIP base, but I can't see
answering.

Or is there some cunningness that can be done with a Raspberry Pi or
whatever? (Bearing in mind it would still need to interface to the SIP to
DECT box)

Theo
Old February 6th 20, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

On 06/02/2020 13:41, Theo wrote:
[...]

Forgive me if my response misses the point of what are seeking. But can
this not be simply done using a Fritzbox 7490? It has a built-in DECT
base, supports multiple voip accounts and has 5 built in answering machines.
Old February 6th 20, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 13:41:12 UTC, Theo wrote:
[...]

One can still buy the Gigaset N300A IP.

In addition there may be DECT handsets with the TAM in the phone not the base.

Voipfone includes brilliant FREE voicemail. If you use this SP you won't need a TAM.
Old February 6th 20, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Malcolm Loades wrote:
Forgive me if my response misses the point of what are seeking. But can
this not be simply done using a Fritzbox 7490? It has a built-in DECT
base, supports multiple voip accounts and has 5 built in answering machines.

It is possible, but I prefer to keep router and VOIP system separate.

Theo
Old February 6th 20, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 06/02/2020 13:41, Theo wrote:
I'm looking to replace my PAP2 and fleet of wired-in Gigaset bases with
something that speaks DECT to the Gigaset handsets directly. It would be
useful for it to have answering machine capability in some way - either
traditional push-button on the unit/handset or some kind of voicemail.
As it'll be hooked up to multiple accounts and multiple providers, I'd
rather have the functionality at my end rather than rely on providers'
voicemail.

Currently on the shortlist is the Gigaset N300A IP.
In fact, that's the only one I can find with answering machine capability.
There are some newer Gigaset phones with a VOIP base, but I can't see
answering.

N300AIP works well.
I use Voipfone for all incoming calls for which a few quid a month for a
number to make use of all the glorious features is money well spent,
their network AM is superb especially having messages e-mailed
automatically.

Only thing to be aware of is Gigaset handsets don't necessarily allow
access to all base station features e.g. Answer Machine. Also I've
found I've needed to use a handset sold with the base station to remove
older handsets once they've been registered so buying an N300AIP with a
single handset will ensure you can carry out essential tasks on the base
station but don't forget your existing handsets still might not be able
to access base or network voicemail.

When my home S68H handsets started to die I found it was just as cheap
to buy 2 x "duo" Gigaset packages as buying 1 x "quad" package.
Same number of handsets with a spare Go-Box in reserve, which was
actually re-purposed to hook up my mothers old "big number" gigaset
handsets to allow VoIP when her landline kept failing and how I know
about the need to have a correct handset for the box to enable specific
activities etc.

Old February 6th 20, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 06/02/2020 14:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

One can still buy the Gigaset N300A IP.

In addition there may be DECT handsets with the TAM in the phone not the base.

Voipfone includes brilliant FREE voicemail. If you use this SP you won't need a TAM.

On 06/02/2020 14:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

One can still buy the Gigaset N300A IP.

In addition there may be DECT handsets with the TAM in the phone not

the base.

Voipfone includes brilliant FREE voicemail. If you use this SP you

won't need a TAM.

Sipgate and Gradwell both do free VM as well.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old February 8th 20, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Only thing to be aware of is Gigaset handsets don't necessarily allow
access to all base station features e.g. Answer Machine. Also I've
found I've needed to use a handset sold with the base station to remove
older handsets once they've been registered so buying an N300AIP with a
single handset will ensure you can carry out essential tasks on the base
station but don't forget your existing handsets still might not be able
to access base or network voicemail.

Thanks. I have some C430s which can fetch voicemail from their (analogue)
bases - do you know if it's the same to access voicemail on the N300A as
another kind of base? I did the compatibiility check when I selected the
C430, but that was a few years ago now.

When my home S68H handsets started to die I found it was just as cheap
to buy 2 x "duo" Gigaset packages as buying 1 x "quad" package.
Same number of handsets with a spare Go-Box in reserve, which was
actually re-purposed to hook up my mothers old "big number" gigaset
handsets to allow VoIP when her landline kept failing and how I know
about the need to have a correct handset for the box to enable specific
activities etc.

As far as I can tell the N300A supports more connections than the Go-Box
100 - I don't know if that has any features the N300A doesn't have?

Theo
Old February 8th 20, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

Gigaset handsets in general have weird ways of doing things. One of
the silliest I came across recently is that you can't de-register a
handset from the base station from the handset you want to
de-register. You can only do it from another handset.

Also the directory is independent for each handset so adding a number
on one handset doesn't get copied to the others.

While one *might* want hadsets to be this independent surely the
default is that they all act the same.

--
Chris Green

Old February 9th 20, 02:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 22:17:38 UTC, Theo wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

Got C460IP, C475IP and N510IP, but not the N300. Operation of the three I do have is very similar, but I don't know exactly how the N300A TAM works. OMA download the manual.

Also got an analog base, but no TAM in it.
Old February 9th 20, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 23:03:03 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
Gigaset handsets in general have weird ways of doing things. One of
the silliest I came across recently is that you can't de-register a
handset from the base station from the handset you want to
de-register. You can only do it from another handset.

I think it depends on the model. Only top end handsets can deregister anything.

Also the directory is independent for each handset so adding a number
on one handset doesn't get copied to the others.

True, but there is a simple directory copy function.

While one *might* want hadsets to be this independent surely the
default is that they all act the same.

Well only if they are, I have three different types and come across several others.

--
Chris Green