UK drops down broadband speed rankings

Old September 4th 20, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default UK drops down broadband speed rankings

Not really a surprise...
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...pe-study-finds

As a side note why is downloading a "movie" the media proxy for speed? Who
downloads films other than pirates? All legal access to films is via
streaming, which means that you can watch a film without depending on raw
d/load speeds.
Old September 4th 20, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 04/09/2020 in message Chris wrote:

Not really a surprise...
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...pe-study-finds

As a side note why is downloading a "movie" the media proxy for speed? Who
downloads films other than pirates? All legal access to films is via
streaming, which means that you can watch a film without depending on raw
d/load speeds.

I use Sky's on demand service which seems to download films although I
don't time them.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap
Old September 4th 20, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 04/09/2020 08:47, Jeff Gaines wrote:

On 04/09/2020 in message Chris wrote:

Not really a surprise...
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...pe-study-finds

As a side note why is downloading a "movie" the media proxy for speed?
Who
downloads films other than pirates? All legal access to films is via
streaming, which means that you can watch a film without depending on raw
d/load speeds.

Nonsense, all the mainstream UK broadcasters seem to allow saving a file
on your PC if the bandwidth is too low to support streaming, though I'm
not sure about Channel 5.

I use Sky's on demand service which seems to download films although I
don't time them.

Quite.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk
Old September 4th 20, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 4 Sep 2020 at 11:14:52 BST, "Java Jive" wrote:

On 04/09/2020 08:47, Jeff Gaines wrote:

On 04/09/2020 in message Chris wrote:

Not really a surprise...

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...pe-study-finds

As a side note why is downloading a "movie" the media proxy for speed?
Who
downloads films other than pirates? All legal access to films is via
streaming, which means that you can watch a film without depending on raw
d/load speeds.

Nonsense, all the mainstream UK broadcasters seem to allow saving a file
on your PC if the bandwidth is too low to support streaming, though I'm
not sure about Channel 5.

I stand corrected. I must be so ingrained in streaming media that I've
disregarded the download options. Apologies.

Old September 4th 20, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

On Fri, 04 Sep 2020 07:09:29 +0000, Chris wrote:

Not really a surprise...
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...adband-speeds-

among-slowest-in-europe-study-finds

As a side note why is downloading a "movie" the media proxy for speed?
Who downloads films other than pirates? All legal access to films is via
streaming, which means that you can watch a film without depending on
raw d/load speeds.

As an aside, the figures usually quoted by politicians are ridiculous.

For example if there is a link with a rated speed of 10 Gigabits per
second (roughly 1 Gigabyte per second) this does not mean that you can
download a high definition movie (say 5 GB) in 5 seconds.

SATA III maxes out (in theory) 0.6 GB/sec.

However NVMe can in theory write at 2.7 GB/sec so your latest laptop (with
the 10 gig network port/SIM) might hack it.

However chain, weakest link, yada yada.

Every point from the storage on the server sending you the film right
through to your spanky new NVMe SSD must be able to maintain the fabled 10
Gb/sec (1GB/sec) continuously.

So 10 Gig plus on all interfaces and no contention. Yeah, right.

Cheers

Dave R

Old September 4th 20, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 04/09/2020 13:13, David wrote:
So 10 Gig plus on all interfaces and no contention. Yeah, right.

It doesn't matter. And I don't see speed as the limit anyway.

I've got 70Mbps. It's enough for most things - the only thing I do often
that takes much time is downloading a 70MB firmware image from work. and
that's not exactly painful.

I could upgrade (BT are offering me gigabit, I have a fibre) but what's
the point? It would save me 10 seconds a few dozen times a day.

What I can't do is run a machine here truly on the work network because
the _latency_ is too big. We have a shared compilation system
(Icecream), and that just wouldn't work properly with a ping of 10ms or so.

Andy
Old September 5th 20, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 04/09/2020 13:13, David wrote:
So 10 Gig plus on all interfaces and no contention. Yeah, right.

It doesn't matter. And I don't see speed as the limit anyway.

I've got 70Mbps. It's enough for most things - the only thing I do often
that takes much time is downloading a 70MB firmware image from work. and
that's not exactly painful.

I could upgrade (BT are offering me gigabit, I have a fibre) but what's
the point? It would save me 10 seconds a few dozen times a day.

What I can't do is run a machine here truly on the work network because
the _latency_ is too big. We have a shared compilation system
(Icecream), and that just wouldn't work properly with a ping of 10ms or so.

Agree. We've got 34Mbps down here and it's fine with three of us WFH. The
only reason it'd be worth upgrading for is the *up*load speed.

Old September 5th 20, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Caspersz

On 04/09/2020 08:09, Chris wrote:

Not really a surprise...
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...pe-study-finds

As a side note why is downloading a "movie" the media proxy for speed? Who
downloads films other than pirates? All legal access to films is via
streaming, which means that you can watch a film without depending on raw
d/load speeds.

I'd suggest their journalists don't know the technical difference.

--
Adrian C
Old September 5th 20, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

On Fri, 04 Sep 2020 21:37:42 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 04/09/2020 13:13, David wrote:
So 10 Gig plus on all interfaces and no contention. Yeah, right.

It doesn't matter. And I don't see speed as the limit anyway.

I've got 70Mbps. It's enough for most things - the only thing I do often
that takes much time is downloading a 70MB firmware image from work. and
that's not exactly painful.

I could upgrade (BT are offering me gigabit, I have a fibre) but what's
the point? It would save me 10 seconds a few dozen times a day.

What I can't do is run a machine here truly on the work network because
the _latency_ is too big. We have a shared compilation system
(Icecream), and that just wouldn't work properly with a ping of 10ms or
so.

Andy

I don't expect or need that kind of speed (at least at the moment).
My complaint is that the illustrations are technically impossible and
raise false expectations.

For example I have a 200 Mb/sec VM link yet a lot of streaming sites have
the occasional spooling pause. Despite a speed test showing that the link
is running at or near 200 Mb/sec.

So saying "at this speed you could download a film in 10 seconds" is
vastly misleading and sets unrealistic expectations.

Cheers

Dave R

Old September 5th 20, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_3_]

On 04/09/2020 08:09, Chris wrote:

Not really a surprise...
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...pe-study-finds

As a side note why is downloading a "movie" the media proxy for speed? Who
downloads films other than pirates? All legal access to films is via
streaming, which means that you can watch a film without depending on raw
d/load speeds.

The annual study
( https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/sp...-speed-league/ )
seems to use mean speed.

Median would make more sense otherwise a few users with, say, 1Gb fibre
could massively boost a country's result.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).